Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Hava Sayed <ha...@rmb.co.za> on 2007/06/15 17:30:51 UTC

MultiCastAppender configuration

Hi

I am trying to configure log4j to log to Chainsaw on a remote host  using
Multicast.

I have a MultiCastReceiver set up on Chainsaw and I have the following
config on my client

 <appender name="Multicast" class="org.apache.log4j.net.MulticastAppender">
      <param name="RemoteHost" value="232.10.0.0"/>
      <param name="Port" value="8100"/>
      <layout class="org.apache.log4j.xml.XMLLayout"/>
   </appender>

However I keep getting the following error

ERROR      org.apache.log4j.net.MulticastAppender - Attempted to log with
inactive appender named [Multicast].

Am I missing something in my configuration?

Thanks
Hava

This e-mail is subject to a disclaimer, available at
http://www.rmb.co.za/web/elements.nsf/online/disclaimer-communications.html

RE: MultiCastAppender configuration

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
There is a bug in this appender that is preventing it from processing
events (as you mentioned, the log4j framework thinks the appender is
inactive).

I'll make a commit to fix this on the trunk.

If you have the code locally and would like to fix it, after the
constructor of the MulticastSocket in the connect() method, add this
line:

active = true;

Scott Deboy
Principal Engineer