Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Javier Holguera <ja...@zopa.com> on 2017/03/09 17:31:33 UTC

UUID support in IDL and Java

Hi,

We'd like to use UUIDs to represent some unique "strings" that we have at the moment in our Avro schemas. We'd like to save all the validations that we have to perform at the moment.

We create our contracts in IDL, then translate them to JSON. From there, we generate code for both Java and C#.

Based on this thread (http://search-hadoop.com/m/Avro/F2svI1jK9ck17kkdC?subj=UUIDs+in+Avro+Schemas), it looks like:

  *   There is no support for UUID in the IDL. Any plans to add this soon?
  *   JSON supports it, although I don't know if the Java code generation would pick that up and create Java classes with UUIDs instead of Strings.

Would you please clarify the situation with UUIDs and planned work?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Javier.