Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de> on 2003/11/11 08:58:07 UTC

Slide 2.0 Release Management / WAS E_HREF

Hi!

I am not really in the position to answer that question as I have never
participated in a Slide release. Also the term "release manager" is not
very well defined in general. Although, judging from what I have seen in
other open source projects and from what I have learned from this mailig
list's archive is this:

1.) The release manager (RM for my laziness) will need access to and
solid knowledge of the CVS. When there is a feature freeze the RM will
either have to lock the CVS and accept fixes as email only or create a
release branch and later merge fixes back to the HEAD. I'd say a branch
is good enough for a small project like this. Also the RM will have to
do the tagging of milestones, releases, etc.
2.) The RM keeps in contact with the users, contributors and commitors
and communicates with Apache release people.
3.) Actually *makes* the release. The RM decides when the release is
mature, writes release notes, with known bugs, enhancements,
limitations, etc.
4.) Runs the test suite to the code. Maybe this can be delegated to
someone else? Anyway, the tester must have good knowlege of the system
and an overview over the sources. The RM for shure needs to guarantee
there is at least one clearly identifiable person per code part / package.
5.) Sees to the general documentation being up to date

Oliver

Re: Slide 2.0 Release Management

Posted by Ingo Brunberg <ib...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Hi Oliver,

you certainly have my +1. I would not want to take the responsibility
of a release manager myself, mainly because I am not experienced
enough.

Regards,
Ingo

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
OK, this means the RM needs commit access to the CVS. Thus the RM must
be an active committer.

Active committers are (sorry if I have forgotten anyone, please tell me
if this is the case):
- Jürgen Pill
- Peter Nevermann
- Martin Wallmer
- Ingo Brunberg

Additionally, there is one designated committer, which is *me*.

I understand the people from SAG hardly will take the position of the RM
as they have releases of their own server. Correct?

This leaves Ingo and to a limited degree me.

There can be no doubt being a RM is unpleasant and requires a
significant amount of time, as Rémy said. That's way I dare not to ask
Ingo, but rather propose myself for the job, even though other certainly
have better qualification. If Ingo, the people from SAG or any other
committer wants the job, I will be even happier :)

What do you people say? Especially committers since we - as Rémy said -

Re: Slide 2.0 Release Management / WAS E_HREF

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.