Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Harry Putnam <re...@newsguy.com> on 2009/10/07 15:49:57 UTC

about repos layout and common practice

I've been a long time cvs user... but my usage has always been
personal... no big shared projects or such.

I'm starting to setup subversion and reading about common layouts in
the docs.. I wonder how to get a little shorter path.

Example... according to the docs:

   repo/
       myproj/
             trunk/
                   project_files/
          branches/
              tags/

So the working files are already 3 layers deep.  That's a fair bit of
path just to get started.

I wondered what people do to get around that or do you all just live
with it?

Maybe ..symlinks? or some completely different layout from the start?

A few examples from working repos of your layouts would be greatly
appreciated here.

RE: about repos layout and common practice

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru> writes:
>
> >> I wondered what people do to get around that or do you all just live
> >> with it?
> >
> > We just don't bother with it. You export WC and it will track the
> > path for you for the time of existence.
>
> Sorry, I'm a little too dense to catch what you mean here.. WC?

What he is saying is that after you do something like:

svn co https://myreallongannoyingsub.mylongerdomainthatIhate.com/svn/repo/development/projects/DotNetProjects/Finallymyproject/trunk c:\dev\FinallyMyProject

You only have to deal with the WC path most of the time after that.

BOb

Re: about repos layout and common practice

Posted by Harry Putnam <re...@newsguy.com>.
Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 09:51:08AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Sorry, I'm a little too dense to catch what you mean here.. WC?
>
> water closet aka "bathroom" for us yanks.
>
> ok j/k he means "working copy" aka sandbox aka "that place where you
> checked out your files".

Got it... thanks

Re: about repos layout and common practice

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 09:51:08AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Sorry, I'm a little too dense to catch what you mean here.. WC?

water closet aka "bathroom" for us yanks.

ok j/k he means "working copy" aka sandbox aka "that place where you
checked out your files".

tyler

Re: about repos layout and common practice

Posted by Harry Putnam <re...@newsguy.com>.

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Harry Putnam!

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: about repos layout and common practice

Posted by aaron searle <se...@gmail.com>.
The svn book covers layouts and theory behind it:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn-book.pdf

Two basics are

Repo per project
/Project
     /base
     /branches

1 Repo with many projects
/Project1
   /base
   /branches
/Project2
   /base
   /branches

Posted by Harry Putnam <re...@newsguy.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Mordkoff <jl...@ZeeVee.Com>.
From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Harry Putnam

> I've been a long time cvs user... but my usage has always been
> personal... no big shared projects or such.
>
> I'm starting to setup subversion and reading about common layouts in
> the docs.. I wonder how to get a little shorter path.
>
> Example... according to the docs:
>
>    repo/
>        myproj/
>              trunk/
>                    project_files/
>           branches/
>               tags/
>
> So the working files are already 3 layers deep.  That's a fair bit of
> path just to get started.
>
> I wondered what people do to get around that or do you all just live
> with it?
>
> Maybe ..symlinks? or some completely different layout from the start?
>
> A few examples from working repos of your layouts would be greatly
> appreciated here.

I've been using svn for about 2 years now. I came from CVS and
ClearCase. We follow this layout to the letter. You don't end up
entering these pathnames very often...once you've created a workspace,
it just remembers it for you. Unless you're doing merges and since I do
most of the merging here, I have some environment vars to make my life
easier, such as B=svn://svn/zcode/branches.

One good reason to stick with this is all the examples on tigris and
collabnet seem to follow it.

I would add one thing that's not clear in the doc. If you are trying to
decide if two subsets of your code should both be under the same project
or not, think about when you might branch and/or merge them. If they
will never branch and merge at the same time, then they should probably
be two separate projects. But if they have interdependencies, then they
almost certainly should be one project

JLM

Re: about repos layout and common practice

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Harry Putnam wrote:
> I've been a long time cvs user... but my usage has always been
> personal... no big shared projects or such.
>
> I'm starting to setup subversion and reading about common layouts in
> the docs.. I wonder how to get a little shorter path.
>
> Example... according to the docs:
>
>    repo/
>        myproj/
>              trunk/
>                    project_files/
>           branches/
>               tags/
>
> So the working files are already 3 layers deep.  That's a fair bit of
> path just to get started.
>
> I wondered what people do to get around that or do you all just live
> with it?

Yes, that's the standard practice and the depth isn't a big deal.  You end up
copying the URL once to do a checkout and rarely need it after that.

> Maybe ..symlinks? or some completely different layout from the start?
>
> A few examples from working repos of your layouts would be greatly
> appreciated here.

Check out the Apache repository.  There's hundreds of projects in the repository:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/

and some projects in here, such as httpd:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/

and Apache ant:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/

Regards,
Blair

Re: about repos layout and common practice

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
If the repository is for your own personal use, you don't need so many
levels. I have a repository setup like this:

svn://branches
svn://tags
svn://proj1
svn://proj2

I simply have my projects as the first level of the repository. There is no
"trunk" directory. The "branches" and "tags" directory are there , but I
rarely ever use them. When I do a branch or a tag, I do something like this:

*$ svn cp svn://lh/proj1 svn://lh/tags/PROJ1-1.0*

This makes checkouts quite simple:

*$ svn co svn://lh/proj1*

Note that I use the "svn" protocol. It's simpler than http:// and I don't
have to setup an Apache server. As an additional bonus, you remove another
level from the URL. http needs both the server and repository name. svn only
needs the server (and I've aliased localhost to "lh". I do have to have the
svnserve command start up, but I can do this manually, or start it up when I
log in. (Either manually or via my .profile script)

As others have pointed out, you really don't use the multi-level URLs once
you've checked out a project. All the commands pretty much work on the local
directory. However, it's nice to have short URLs when you do need them.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Harry Putnam <re...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> I've been a long time cvs user... but my usage has always been
> personal... no big shared projects or such.
>
> I'm starting to setup subversion and reading about common layouts in
> the docs.. I wonder how to get a little shorter path.
>
> Example... according to the docs:
>
>   repo/
>       myproj/
>             trunk/
>                   project_files/
>          branches/
>              tags/
>
> So the working files are already 3 layers deep.  That's a fair bit of
> path just to get started.
>
> I wondered what people do to get around that or do you all just live
> with it?
>
> Maybe ..symlinks? or some completely different layout from the start?
>
> A few examples from working repos of your layouts would be greatly
> appreciated here.

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

RE: about repos layout and common practice

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> I've been a long time cvs user... but my usage has always been
> personal... no big shared projects or such.
>
> I'm starting to setup subversion and reading about common layouts in
> the docs.. I wonder how to get a little shorter path.
>
> Example... according to the docs:
>
>    repo/
>        myproj/
>              trunk/
>                    project_files/
>           branches/
>               tags/
>
> So the working files are already 3 layers deep.  That's a fair bit of
> path just to get started.
>
> I wondered what people do to get around that or do you all just live
> with it?

Well, I just check out repo/myproj/trunk to my c:\dev\myproj folder or whatever. The paths in the repo really don't bother me.

BOb