Posted to dev@directmemory.apache.org by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/22 12:11:45 UTC

call for contributors (or d... go to Attic)

Dear DM fellows,

Apache DirectMemory is not having much activities in the latest months and
we, the PMC, couldn't push forward further developments to move the project
forward very much, so we are evaluating moving the project to Apache Attic
[1].
We, the PMC, do not foresee change on our side on our capability of
bringing new energy to the project in the short term so, before taking
actions for the move to Attic, we would like to give a last call for
contributors who want to take the challenge to help us giving Apache
DirectMemory some fresh ideas and contributions and empower our community.

So if anyone reading here is interested to contribute, please raise your
hands!

Thanks and regards,
Tommaso

[1] : http://attic.apache.org/

Re: call for contributors (or d... go to Attic)

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
One other thing I think could be relevant is benchmarking - using
DirectMemory should improve perfomances and this is not demonstrated nor
clearly stated anywhere, but it is the main selling point of off heap
memory. In the past, when I wrote about preliminary results on my blog [1]
I obtained a lot of attention (and hence moved in here in the ASF).

Basically, how to use the "thing" is good but WHY is better. Too bad I have
not had time to work on this stuff, in the last two years, and it is not
likely changing any time soon.

Ciao,

[1]
https://raffaeleguidi.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/directmemory-benchmark-heap-vs-off-heap-vs-orientdb/