Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2018/03/05 23:43:43 UTC

OSGi and multi-release jars

The issue with OSGi not supporting Java 9 has finally seen some movement. See the update at https://github.com/bndtools/bnd/issues/2227#issuecomment-370600204 <https://github.com/bndtools/bnd/issues/2227#issuecomment-370600204>. It seems support for multi-release jars has finally been added to the OSGi spec. A good explanation can be found in the OSGi blog at http://blog.osgi.org/2018/02/osgi-r7-highlights-java-9-support.html <http://blog.osgi.org/2018/02/osgi-r7-highlights-java-9-support.html>.

It remains to be seen how long it will take the various OSGi implementations to add this support.

Ralph

Re: OSGi and multi-release jars

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Apache Felix (and Karaf by extension) and Eclipse Equinox are the two main
OSGi implementations in wide use. I wouldn't expect old Java EE servers to
be updated to the new OSGi spec (but maybe their Jakarta EE releases will),
though it's not like those servers support Java 9 anyways.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>