Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mark Craig <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/06 21:39:26 UTC

Glyph "?" (0x107, cacute) not in PDF

Hello,

I've read http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html#pdf-characters and http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/fonts.html#missing-glyphs. They seem to suggest that if the font contains a glyph it ought to be picked up.

I'm using the DejaVu fonts. A ć (c with acute accent, lower case) is missing in the PDF, following this warning during generation:

Oct 6, 2011 8:23:59 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x107, cacute) not available in font "DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold".

The ć does show up in the UTF-8 encoded .fo. It comes out fine in the RTF, which is generated from an identical .fo.

I do see ć in DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold in my font viewer. (The glyph appears in SansMono on their home page, http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Main_Page.)

The DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold-metrics.xml file seemed to be generated without incident:

INFO: Reading /Users/mark/Documents/workspace/opendj3/src/fonts/DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold.ttf...
Oct 6, 2011 8:22:57 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader loadTTF
INFO: Font Family: [DejaVu Sans Condensed, DejaVu Sans]
Oct 6, 2011 8:22:57 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader constructFontXML
INFO: Creating xml font file...
Oct 6, 2011 8:22:57 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.AbstractFontReader writeFontXML
INFO: Writing xml font file /Users/mark/Documents/workspace/opendj3/target/fonts/DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold-metrics.xml...

Why is the ć missing from the PDF output?

Thanks for your time and your help.

Regards,
Mark

Re: Glyph "?" (0x107, cacute) not in PDF

Posted by Mark Craig <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Pascal, for the further explanation, and Medhi for your hint not to use the metrics files.

It turns out that when I use FOP 1.0 directly with the DejaVu fonts and without the generated metrics files, the glyph does appear in the PDF.

Regards,
Mark

Posted by Pascal Sancho <pa...@takoma.fr>.
Hi Mark,

--
Pascal

Re: Glyph "?" (0x107, cacute) not in PDF

Posted by Mark Craig <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Mehdi.

Posted by mehdi houshmand <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,