Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by kmonging <km...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/13 04:02:40 UTC

[DISCUSS] camel-bindy - Error handling

Hello all,

While using fixed length bindy to convert string to date data type, I
encountered an IllegalArgumentException, java.text.ParseException:
Unparseable date: "                "

Is it possible an annotation [lenient=true], to have the error logged under
warning and have it continue processing the rest of the content.

At the same time, another annotation [default="camel rox"], to set the value
of the field to "camel rox" while catching error, such as ParseException.

What do you think?

Thanks and regards,
Kmonging

Re: [DISCUSS] camel-bindy - Error handling

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:02 AM, kmonging <km...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> While using fixed length bindy to convert string to date data type, I
> encountered an IllegalArgumentException, java.text.ParseException:
> Unparseable date: "                "
>
> Is it possible an annotation [lenient=true], to have the error logged under
> warning and have it continue processing the rest of the content.

Maybe Bindy should just ignore empty/null/0 fields for Date fields
which have been marked as @required = false.
Then you can mark the field as not required.

The lenient option on Date is for parsing weird date inputs, such as
overflows for months etc. I don't think its such a good idea.
I have yet to see anyone who likes the 14th month to be regarded as
February etc.

> At the same time, another annotation [default="camel rox"], to set the value
> of the field to "camel rox" while catching error, such as ParseException.

Yeah we could introduce an attribute to set a default value.

> What do you think?

Feel free to create a JIRA ticket.

And as we love contributions, patches is welcome.

> Thanks and regards,
> Kmonging

Claus Ibsen
FuseSource