Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> on 2017/05/22 05:12:09 UTC

New doc: Beam Runner Guide

Hi all,

I spent a little time since 2.0.0 to write a guide for runner authors,
aimed at covering everything you need to know and what you need to do to
get a Beam runner off the ground:

    https://s.apache.org/beam-runner-guide

It is meant as a complement to Luke's great docs on the Fn API, covering
the other bits that are not the actual UDF invocations. Between the Runner
[API] docs and the Fn API docs, I'm really excited about the Beam
portability story.

Our current runners have already gone through a lot of this, but they did
not all hit the same snags. So I hope this will also be a place where
lessons learned while polishing one runner can be stored and applied to
others.

I think this should be a living document that incorporates lessons from
other runner authors and contributors, so I am shipping it with TODOs,
comments, and some fairly brief sections where I am hoping folks will enjoy
contributing :-). At some point this content could be incorporated
somewhere deep in the web page, not meant for pipeline authors, but let's
wait and see on that.

Kenn

Re: New doc: Beam Runner Guide

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Davor Bonaci <da...@apache.org> wrote:

> Great work!
>
> Once comments are resolved in the document, can we move this to the
> Contribute section of the website? I think that would make it much more
> discoverable to everyone.

Definitely. I want to make some of the "easy path" implementations real
step-by-step tutorials with pointers to code (since the Javadoc is not for
end-users so not published) and with that and other suggested changes it
should reach a decent quality bar to begin life as a markdown PR.

Kenn

Re: New doc: Beam Runner Guide

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@apache.org>.
Great work!