Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2011/09/12 09:14:32 UTC

M3 - will try to do it now

I think now we are fully ready to release M3. The maven plugin bugs are fixed, the POM is setup to follow the Apache process using maven-release-plugin, and we have ~ 2 dozens of new features waiting to be released (hats off to Dzmitry on all of these things).

Now I'll need to find time to actually assemble the release and start the vote.

Andrus

Re: M3 - will try to do it now

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
That's quite neat. I'll need to try it. I had worries about executing platform builds on incompatible platforms - do we have all dependencies to run clean/install like that. So I fixed the M3 via search and replace, but I'll add it to release instructions and we'll use it the next time.

Andrus

Re: M3 - will try to do it now

Posted by Dzmitry Kazimirchyk <dk...@gmail.com>.

Re: M3 - will try to do it now

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: M3 - will try to do it now

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: M3 - will try to do it now

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: M3 - will try to do it now

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Progress report... So this approximate sequence of steps based on http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html , but with our current POM works to create a staging release repo that we can use for Maven testing

1. Make sure "apache-releases" repository is configured in ~/.m2/settings.xml and an appropriate password is setup.

2. Need to do Subversion checkout.. git-svn checkout won't work.

3. Release commands:

  mvn release:clean
  mvn release:prepare -DautoVersionSubmodules=true

Here running into something described in the docs: "Note: If you're located in Europe then release:prepare may fail with 'Unable to tag SCM' and ' svn: No such revision X '. Wait 10 seconds and run mvn release:prepare again."  Well this is not a joke. It fails indeed, and requires a re-run.

   mvn release:perform -P gpg [-Dgpg.keyname=B8AF90BF]

4. "Close" the staging repo:

4.1 Login to https://repository.apache.org/ with Apache ID/password.
4.2 Go to Staging Repositories page.
4.3 Select a staging repository you just created.
4.4 Click Close

After these steps we have a neat staging repository containing Cayenne 3.1M3: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecayenne-052/ ready to be used for testing. I'd specifically request release-testing volunteers to check that the Maven plugins work. E.g. in M2 cgen couldn't pull all its dependencies. That should be fixed. Not sure about the Modeler plugin, but worth trying it too (though IMO this won't be a release showstopper either way).

Other than the above, downloadable assemblies process is teh same as before, and I am moving to that now.

Re: M3 - will try to do it now

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Ari,

Since I have a bit of time right now, I guess I'll proceed with preparing the release. But I don't want it look like I am pushing it through when there are still unresolved concerns. So if we want to cancel it for this or some other reason, let's resume this discussion.

Andrus

Re: M3 - will try to do it now

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: M3 - will try to do it now