Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Fortney, James T - CSCCS" <Fo...@CSCConsulting.com> on 2023/04/27 06:21:36 UTC

Suggested Approach

Here is a possible new challenge for those who like what I believe is
a "different" challenge.  How would we have SA properly learn to
identify such messages?

In an eight minute period this morning, someone dumped 9 messages
into a Google mail server using one of my addresses as the FROM and
TO address without any identification I can detect.

For those that would like to investigate, the messages are in the
attached ZIP.  It looks like simple Spamming but I can not assure
there are no other issues of concern.

Do not become confused by my delivery consolidation
forwarding.  Please discard if no interest.

TNX  - JimF

James T. Fortney, Principal
CSC Consulting Services
E-mail:   Fortney@CSCConsulting.com
Snail:    P.O. Box 12589
               Prescott AZ  86304-2589

RE: Suggested Approach

Posted by "Fortney, James T - CSCCS" <Fo...@CSCConsulting.com>.
Marc (et all) -

Thank you for the reply.  I will first admit that my SA skills are
very dated.  I have not actively managed the product in over ten years.

I distributed the 9 messages as a ZIP file because there were so many
immediate instances.  I typically refrain from trying to redact an
example because it does not give a full picture and I may redact what
someone else considers an important part.  I'm sure you understand
the other reasons for not sending "real" plain text examples.

I believe I understand your analysis of the IPs you referenced, but I
don't find that Thiland IP or the Google IPs in my examples.  The IPs
included in the headers are 10.221.57.15 (useless) and 209.85.208.169
which Google says "Received-SPF: pass (domain of gmail.com designates
209.85.208.169 as permitted sender)" apparently relating to
capable of reading more out of the headers.

If you, or others, are interested in researching how this traffic can
be identified as spam I am interested in learning about the process.

- JimF

RE: Suggested Approach

Posted by Marc <Ma...@f1-outsourcing.eu>.