Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by nk...@comcast.net on 2006/03/13 20:37:19 UTC

x86_64 compilation for RHEL4 and RHEL3 .spec files needs fix

The .spec files for RHEL4, and apparently for RHEL3, need to use "%{_libdir}" instead of "/usr/lib" in order that they compile properly and build appropriate RPM contents for x86_64 based systems. The spec file is easily patched, as is the RHEL3 and RHEL4 patch, to support this.

The problem is easily duplicated by attempting to compile the subversion-1.3.0 SRPM under RHEL4 on an x86_64 operating system and hardware.

Re: x86_64 compilation for RHEL4 and RHEL3 .spec files needs fix

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Toby Johnson wrote:
> nkadel@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> The .spec files for RHEL4, and apparently for RHEL3, need to use
>> "%{_libdir}" instead of "/usr/lib" in order that they compile
>> properly and build appropriate RPM contents for x86_64 based
>> systems. The spec file is easily patched, as is the RHEL3 and RHEL4
>> patch, to support this. The problem is easily duplicated by attempting to
>> compile the
>> subversion-1.3.0 SRPM under RHEL4 on an x86_64 operating system and
>> hardware.
>
> Hello nkadel, the builds for various platforms are maintained by
> individuals not necessarily associated "officially" with the SVN
> project, so comments regarding those builds should probably go to the
> maintainer.
>
> Incidentally I have sent David Summers (the maintainer for the RHEL
> SRPMs) a patch for this very same issue but haven't heard back yet
> whether he plans on using it.
>
> Were you able to get the httpd modules to install to the correct
> location, or did you have to change the module configure options? Mine
> got put in /usr/lib/httpd/modules even after I changed all instances
> of /usr/lib to %{_libdir}. I manually moved them to
> /usr/lib64/httpd/modules and everything worked fine.

You also have to either tweak the rhel-4/rhel-3 patch to put things in the
appropriate RPM build directory and %{_libdir}/httpd/modules subdirectory
instead of the patch's hard-coded /usr/lib/httpd/modules directory, or do
something else. It's a one-line "sed" statement in the .spec file the way
I'm doing it, which I'll be happy to provide the patch for.

Re: x86_64 compilation for RHEL4 and RHEL3 .spec files needs fix

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Toby Johnson wrote:
> nkadel@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> The .spec files for RHEL4, and apparently for RHEL3, need to use
>> "%{_libdir}" instead of "/usr/lib" in order that they compile
>> properly and build appropriate RPM contents for x86_64 based
>> systems. The spec file is easily patched, as is the RHEL3 and RHEL4
>> patch, to support this. The problem is easily duplicated by attempting to
>> compile the
>> subversion-1.3.0 SRPM under RHEL4 on an x86_64 operating system and
>> hardware.
>
> Hello nkadel, the builds for various platforms are maintained by
> individuals not necessarily associated "officially" with the SVN
> project, so comments regarding those builds should probably go to the
> maintainer.
>
> Incidentally I have sent David Summers (the maintainer for the RHEL
> SRPMs) a patch for this very same issue but haven't heard back yet
> whether he plans on using it.

I went ahead and submitted an "issue", what any other project in the world
would call a Bugzilla bug report, and directed it to David Summers.

Re: x86_64 compilation for RHEL4 and RHEL3 .spec files needs fix

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.