Posted to users@camel.apache.org by gilboy <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/27 18:18:28 UTC

Camel JMX Component query

Hi

I need to interact with a vendor product which exposes a number of readable
mbean attributes. Unfortunatly, no notifications exist for these attributes.
I need to poll these managed attributes every 2 mins to see if any have
updated.

Since the JMX component does not appear to support polling I was planning on
writing my own custom component which has a scheduledpoll consumer which
runs every 2 mins and has an MBeanServerConnection and just queries the
attribute of interest and forwards to a processor.

This is what I was planning on doing. However, just wanted to check as it
seems a little strange that I am not using the JMX component with camel as
it only appears to support notifications

Thanks
Joe

Re: Camel JMX Component query

Posted by helander <le...@gmail.com>.
Claus Ibsen-2 wrote

> We love contributions, however I wonder how easy it would be to setup
> a syntax for specifying which JMX attributes you want to poll? That
> may get message pretty quickly, if you need to configure this in a
> <from uri> style.

To some extent I think you can compare this with how you specify filters
when using camel-ldap, i.e. you do not specify the filters in the uri, but
in the message body.

As for syntax, you might get some idea by studying jolokia (jolokia.org),
basically what you do there is to specifiy a list of requests, where each
request is specified by the MBean identifier and a list of attribute names.

/Lars

Re: Camel JMX Component query

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM, gilboy <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to interact with a vendor product which exposes a number of readable
> mbean attributes. Unfortunatly, no notifications exist for these attributes.
> I need to poll these managed attributes every 2 mins to see if any have
> updated.
>
> Since the JMX component does not appear to support polling I was planning on
> writing my own custom component which has a scheduledpoll consumer which
> runs every 2 mins and has an MBeanServerConnection and just queries the
> attribute of interest and forwards to a processor.
>
> This is what I was planning on doing. However, just wanted to check as it
> seems a little strange that I am not using the JMX component with camel as
> it only appears to support notifications
>
> Thanks
> Joe

We love contributions, however I wonder how easy it would be to setup
a syntax for specifying which JMX attributes you want to poll? That
may get message pretty quickly, if you need to configure this in a
<from uri> style.

Claus Ibsen
FuseSource
Email: cibsen@fusesource.com