Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org> on 2004/04/17 02:17:54 UTC

Re: Name server proxies (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Openrbl.org)

On Friday, April 16, 2004, 5:10:50 PM, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
>> As one can have multiple NS entries for a zone, DNS has some degree of
>> built in diversity limiting the impact of a box being dead or
>> unavailable for a period of time. My server is not dependent upon Bill
>> Stearns' being up, only that I can continue to rsync frequently for
>> updates, and even if I can't rsync, I can still serve whatever I last
>> grabbed.
>>
>> As long as you have sufficient variation in your name servers registered
>> with the root name servers, anyone wanting to DDOS SURBL would have to
>> hit a large number of boxes.

> That, combined with views in the rootservers for the surbl.org domain can
> be nice to have. Like Clamav mirrors currently work. Depending on the
> source IP you get a set op nameservers listed. Based mostly on geographic
> locations.

OK This sounds like I should be asking our secondaries to carry
the surbl.org parent domain also, right?  Then I would update the
root name servers to list all of them.

Please comment,

Jeff C.

Re: Name server proxies (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Openrbl.org)

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, April 16, 2004, 5:17:54 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> OK This sounds like I should be asking our secondaries to carry
> the surbl.org parent domain also, right?  Then I would update the
> root name servers to list all of them.

Sent to wrong list.  Please pardon,

Jeff C.