Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net> on 2011/07/03 17:45:33 UTC

Spam from Googlegroups (rfc-ignorant)

Hello *,

since some  days I become spamed with several 1000 invitations to  tonns
of GoogleGroups.  Nearly all Groupowners have Yahoo Emails.

Now I have send 16 messages to <ab...@googlegroups.com>  and  get  every
time a message back I should go to a link  and  log  in  and  fillout  a
WebForm and this from the spamed account...

This mean, I have to create for each abused E-Mail an account at Google!

Question:  How do you handel such crap?

Blocking ANY Google Domains wont work very well...  even if  I  get  per
day over 100.000 spams from them on my servers.  If more users would use
there own Domain, the gmail/googlemail problem would disappear.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France            itsystems@tdnet
Owner Michelle Konzack            Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)             Gewerbe Strasse 3
50, rue de Soultz                 77694 Kehl/Germany
67100 Strasbourg/France           Tel office: +49-176-86004575
Tel mobil: +33-6-61925193         Tel mobil:  +49-177-9351947

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>  <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>         <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de

Re: Spam from Googlegroups (rfc-ignorant)

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 12:07 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> But the second link in the INVITE message which should point to an Abuse
> Form is working only, if you have an Google-Account to log in.  AND,  it
> is required, that you write the Abuse Complain from the E-Mail which was
> abused...

OK, that catches me out too. Today I got the first of these messages
I've seen and, since it was fresh in my mind, I wrote a rule:

#
# Spamiferous Google Groups invitations
#
describe MG_GGROUPINV Unwanted invitation to join a Google Group
header   __MG_GGH1    From =~ /noreply\@googlegroups\.com/
header   __MG_GGH2    Subject =~ /^Google Groups:/
uri      __MG_GGY     /yahoo\.com/
body     __MG_GGRP    /the [a-z]{1,20}\d{1,6} group/
meta     MG_GGROUPINV (__MG_GGH1 && __MG_GGH2 && __MG_GGY && __MG_GGRP)
score    MG_GGROUPINV 8.5

This triggers on the message I received and the one Michelle posted. It
doesn't touch anything else in my spam test collection. It should be
fairly fast since most of its target regions in the message are short,
and even the body text containing the URI is pretty concise. I think it
will be hard to fool since everything it matches is standard Google
boiler plate and URIs apart from the Yahoo domain reference, which was
probably auto-generated from the address the spammer used to trigger the
invitation-spam.

Its an unspecific rule, in that it will trigger on any GG invitation
mail coming from Yahoo, but I don't care because I don't use Google
Groups, know very few Yahoo clients and think its a vanishingly small
chance that a Yahoo user would invite me to join a GG I'd be interested
in. However, ymmv.

Martin

Re: Spam from Googlegroups (rfc-ignorant)

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Hello Martin Gregorie,

> Is this a legitimate google group, i.e. one that wasn't set up as a spam
> target?

It doen not seeem to be...

> I ask because the genuine Google Groups I've seen have either
> USENET type names or (at least) human-comprehensible names while this
> one is pure obfuscated garbage.
>
> IOW, can junk groups be identified by a rule that looks at the structure
> of the group name?

It would be nice, if there could be an option for this kind of spam

> AFAIK you can be a member of a Google Group without having a Google
> account. Many of them map onto USENET so you can read them without ever
> going near Google.

But the second link in the INVITE message which should point to an Abuse
Form is working only, if you have an Google-Account to log in.  AND,  it
is required, that you write the Abuse Complain from the E-Mail which was
abused...

This mean, I have to create Google accounts for
    michelle.konzack
    linux4michelle
    bsd4michelle
nearly 200 others from my own enterprise (and 10 domains) like
    sammelbestellung
    verkauf
    sales
    einkauf
    support
    verwaltung
    abuse
    listmaster
    hostmaster
    webmaster

Yesterday I was at my Advocat because my GmbH and I have asked him about
this Spamcrap for HUGE Enterprises like Google...   He  is  definitively
willing to sue Google, Yahoo and Microsoft (Live/Hotmal/MSN) in Germany.

It can not be, that I have to accept nearly 400.000 Spams every day from
them.  I have to pay for the traffic on my Mailservers...  and I am only
a VERY small ISP.  The estimated costs for spam are arround  12.000 Euro
per month and increasing, since I have to upgrade my servers  to  bigger
CPUs and more memory because spamassassin/clamav require it.   Currently
I get only 12-14 mio spams per day (it is the half of the middle of  the
last year), but the crap from China or Asia is currently nearly 90%.

> HTH
> Martin

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France            itsystems@tdnet
Owner Michelle Konzack            Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)             Gewerbe Straße 3
50, rue de Soultz                 77694 Kehl/Germany
67100 Strasbourg/France           Tel: +49-177-9351947  mobil
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil         Tel: +49-176-86004575 office

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>  <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>         <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
ICQ    #328449886

Re: Spam from Googlegroups (rfc-ignorant)

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 10:29 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

....snippage....

>   mitra.hesab8042286@yahoo.com has invited you to join the deividfincher77364
> group with this message:

Is this a legitimate google group, i.e. one that wasn't set up as a spam
target? I ask because the genuine Google Groups I've seen have either

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:29:21 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

could add this domain as freemail_domains

left handside before @ can be a freemail sender

> 	RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW,SPF_PASS,T_DKIM_INVALID autolearn=ham
> version=3.3.1

adjust autolearn down to -1.2

reject in mta, or score it in spammassassin

> The problem is, that this invitation messages are endless... I get
> tonns
> of them and because I have no Google account these messages are
> probably
> spam.

if its unvanted its spam

Re: Spam from Googlegroups (rfc-ignorant)

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Hello Benny Pedersen,

----8<------------------------------------------------------------------
From: noreply@googlegroups.com
To: linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net
Subject: Google Groups: You've been invited to deividfincher77364
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 05:52:06 +0000

  mitra.hesab8042286@yahoo.com has invited you to join the deividfincher77364
group with this message:

doubt conditions for and the formation until meaning their bank if for I
against Private the .

Here is the group's description:

In early disease frequently complicated person

---------------------- Google Groups Information ----------------------

You can accept this invitation by clicking the following URL:

http://groups.google.com/group/deividfincher77364/sub?s=hbxFIhQAAABO8lvvNKv7QrRd6oV-EnvhoeaIsP9k1eV1OMtpjOoZlQ&hl=en

--------------------- If This Message Is Unwanted ---------------------

If you feel that this message is abuse, please inform the Google Groups staff
by using the URL below.

http://groups.google.com/groups/abuse?invite=YgAAAERtOErxAAAAPIMqkG4AAAAAADo9a5oiQeIiXYfRfGKkNBUo9iw&hl=en

----8<------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Hello Benny Pedersen,

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 17:45:33 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Question:  How do you handel such crap?

reject yahoo.com senders that are NOT dkim signed

eg one could do it simple postfwd with a combined rule that match
client_name and sender_domain

but use dkim if you can

post a sample spam so rule maintainers can help