Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Tom Fernandes <an...@gmx.net> on 2008/03/05 22:39:57 UTC

jmeter firewall issues

Hello,

On thread

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-jmeter-user/200610.mbox/%3ce27eeeef0610021730o531bd99bha25add72569d1026@mail.gmail.com%3e

[ http://tinyurl.com/2295s9 ]

I read that the jmeter server and jmeter node have to be on the same subnet
due to RMI restriction - is this still true?

On

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterRemoteTestingEnhancements

I read that it is possible to assign a certain port to the RMI server - it
doesn't mention how though. Like this it should be able to open only two
ports on the firewall:

---------------------8<--------------------------------------------

It is possible to get RMI work with two specified ports. The port used by the
rmiregistry is 1099 or any other port specified when starting the registry,
so you can control this. The problem with RMI in combination with a firewall
is the port used by the RMI server which by default is a random port choosen
by the operating system. To get RMI through a firewall you therefore have to
open all ports above 1023 because you do not know in advance which port will
be used. Fortunately it is possible also to specify this port by replacing
the default socket factory used by RMI with your own implementation which
always uses the same port. This way you have to open only two ports on the
firewall the rmiregistry port and the JMeter server port. --
OliverRossmueller

---------------------------------------------------------------->8----------

how can I achieve this? From network sniffing it looks like that I would
really have to forward all ports above 1023 on the lan's fw to the jmeter
node to enable the server (which is in a different subnet) and the node to
communicate with each other. Forwarding two ports would be no problem though.

thanks,

Tom

Re: jmeter firewall issues

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 06/03/2008, Ryan Dooley <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Mar 5, 2008, at 2:16 PM, sebb wrote:
>
>  > On 05/03/2008, Tom Fernandes <an...@gmx.net> wrote:
>  >> Hello,
>  >>
>  >> On thread
>  >>
>  >> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-jmeter-user/200610.mbox/%3ce27eeeef0610021730o531bd99bha25add72569d1026@mail.gmail.com%3e
>  >>
>  >> [ http://tinyurl.com/2295s9 ]
>  >>
>  >> I read that the jmeter server and jmeter node have to be on the
>  >> same subnet
>  >> due to RMI restriction - is this still true?
>  >>
>  >
>  > No idea, sorry.
>  > I find it a bit hard to believe, but I suppose it's possible
>

> This seems to be true on my end.  I couldn't get jmeter nodes to start
>  up if my console wasn't on the same subnet.

However, that could perhaps be due to routing considerations, rather
than the sub-net per se.

Re: jmeter firewall issues

Posted by Ryan Dooley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: jmeter firewall issues

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 05/03/2008, Tom Fernandes <an...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  On thread
>
>  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-jmeter-user/200610.mbox/%3ce27eeeef0610021730o531bd99bha25add72569d1026@mail.gmail.com%3e
>
>  [ http://tinyurl.com/2295s9 ]
>
>  I read that the jmeter server and jmeter node have to be on the same subnet
>  due to RMI restriction - is this still true?

No idea, sorry.
I find it a bit hard to believe, but I suppose it's possible.

>  On
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterRemoteTestingEnhancements
>
>  I read that it is possible to assign a certain port to the RMI server - it
>  doesn't mention how though. Like this it should be able to open only two
>  ports on the firewall:

The jmeter.properties entry:

server_port=1099

can be used to change the port the server waits on.

But there's currently no way to set any other ports that are used.

>  ---------------------8<--------------------------------------------
>
>  It is possible to get RMI work with two specified ports. The port used by the
>  rmiregistry is 1099 or any other port specified when starting the registry,
>  so you can control this. The problem with RMI in combination with a firewall
>  is the port used by the RMI server which by default is a random port choosen
>  by the operating system. To get RMI through a firewall you therefore have to
>  open all ports above 1023 because you do not know in advance which port will
>  be used. Fortunately it is possible also to specify this port by replacing
>  the default socket factory used by RMI with your own implementation which
>  always uses the same port. This way you have to open only two ports on the
>  firewall the rmiregistry port and the JMeter server port. --
>  OliverRossmueller

>  how can I achieve this? From network sniffing it looks like that I would
>  really have to forward all ports above 1023 on the lan's fw to the jmeter
>  node to enable the server (which is in a different subnet) and the node to
>  communicate with each other. Forwarding two ports would be no problem though.

I guess it would mean writing code...