Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com> on 2006/08/31 16:58:55 UTC

[HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk

Hi all,

I will now merge back the ac branch into the trunk. This means all
custom pubs need an update!

When we had
<world>
 <role id="visit"/>
</world>

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/ac-restricted-1.4-src/pubs/default/config/ac/policies/authoring/index/url-policy.acml
This would mean now that the access is denied.

So you need to update the subtree-/url-policy.acml to grant the access @method="grant".
See http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=438944&view=rev how I did it for our pubs.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

I will add some documentation after the merge.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: migration helper for unix users [was [HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk]

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
Nice, thx very much.

salu2

El lun, 04-09-2006 a las 22:10 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >> Or, to see all the changes in the ac branch since its creation:
> >>
> >> svn diff -r 432497:HEAD
> >> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/ac-restricted-1.4-src
> >>

> > I merged the ac with trunk now, you can see all files changed/added in
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=439983
>
> for those of you with larger publications to migrate, here's a
> stylesheet and shell snippet to ease the job (tested on linux with Xalan
> installed, any other xslt processor should work just as well):
>
> cd /YOUR/PATH/TO/YOURPUB
> for i in `find -name usecase-policies.xml -o -name *acml` ; do \
>     echo -n "Converting $i..." && \
>     Xalan /YOUR/PATH/TO/ac-add-method.xsl $i > $i.new && \
>     mv $i.new $i && \
>     echo "successful." || echo "failed." ; \
> done
>
> the stylesheet template matches only roles that do not yet contain a
> "method" attribute, so it's safe to run multiple times in case something
> goes wrong.

Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

migration helper for unix users [was [HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk]

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El lun, 04-09-2006 a las 10:48 +0200, Josias Thöny escribió:
>> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 10:15 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>> svn log -v
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/ac-restricted-1.4-src
>> Or, to see all the changes in the ac branch since its creation:
>>
>> svn diff -r 432497:HEAD
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/ac-restricted-1.4-src
>>

> I merged the ac with trunk now, you can see all files changed/added in
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=439983

for those of you with larger publications to migrate, here's a
stylesheet and shell snippet to ease the job (tested on linux with Xalan
installed, any other xslt processor should work just as well):

cd /YOUR/PATH/TO/YOURPUB
for i in `find -name usecase-policies.xml -o -name *acml` ; do \
    echo -n "Converting $i..." && \
    Xalan /YOUR/PATH/TO/ac-add-method.xsl $i > $i.new && \
    mv $i.new $i && \
    echo "successful." || echo "failed." ; \
done

the stylesheet template matches only roles that do not yet contain a
"method" attribute, so it's safe to run multiple times in case something
goes wrong.

--
"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
	- Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft

Re: [HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El lun, 04-09-2006 a las 10:48 +0200, Josias Thöny escribió:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 10:15 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > svn log -v
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/ac-restricted-1.4-src
>
> Or, to see all the changes in the ac branch since its creation:
>
> svn diff -r 432497:HEAD
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/ac-restricted-1.4-src

I merged the ac with trunk now, you can see all files changed/added in
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=439983

salu2

> hth,
> josias
>

> > salu2
> >
> > El vie, 01-09-2006 a las 18:41 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier escribió:
> > > is there a quick way to find out which files in ac-restricted actually
> > > differ from trunk/src? or can you briefly describe where the new stuff
> > > is happening? atm i don't know where to start reading.
> > >
> > > jörn

Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: [HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-due.de>.
Josias Thöny wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 10:15 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> svn log -v
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/ac-restricted-1.4-src
>
> Or, to see all the changes in the ac branch since its creation:
>
> svn diff -r 432497:HEAD
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/sandbox/ac-restricted-1.4-src

thorsten, josias, thanks for your help.

it hadn't occured to me to try diff, because i thought there was some
subtle magic involved in sandboxes that keep them orthogonal to normal
revisions. nice to see that i was wrong. i sure need to read that svn
book.. :-D

--
"I don't need backups. I need restore!" - Trad.

Posted by Josias Thöny <jo...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
svn log -v

--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: [HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El vie, 01-09-2006 a las 10:33 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >> grmbl.
> >>
> >> as much as i appreciate your work, i think you could have asked first.
> >> what's the problem of letting the users decide when to do a svn switch?
> >
> > Just for the protocol:
> > Well, I asked to test more then a week ago. Not only once, I did it many
> > times.
>
> my project happened to lie in tatters during that period, and i spent
> all of my time fixing it. if the migration to uuids had been a little
> less painful, i'd have been one of the first testers to grab your branch
> and try it.

The problem lies in would and could, to get on with work we need will
and have. I personally have to move on with other projects and gave
people reasonable testing time.

> > Since I did not get a single reply to this threads I assume lazy
> > consensus.
>
> that's why i hollered :)

Which is perfectly alright.

> > I did all the work in the branch to not break trunk. The merge will
> > *not* break the trunk AFAIK
>                          ^^^^^
>
> get real. this code will have bugs. every piece of code has bugs. and
> access control code tends to have *subtle* bugs. but even if it hadn't,
> you should still assume it does, that's best practice :)

Sure every code can contain bugs, but me and josias did an extended test
session yesterday, which helped to screen the biggest bugs.

> > just forces the user to update their ac
> > config file. I gave clear instructions and examples how to update.
> >
> > You ask why, because branches should be merged quickly when stable!
> >
> >> for the first time since mid-june, i've been able to get my project in a
> >> state where it will work well enough to allow basic debugging, and here
> >> goes the next big source of instability.
> >
> > Thanks for calling it like this. It would be not such a "big source of
> > instability" if more people would help to test like Josias did.
>
> i'm looking forward to test it, but as i said, my test setup has only
> been fully usable for the last 24 hours after manually migrating most of
> the content...

hmm, I have at least 2 different lenya instance of the trunk on my
computer. One where I develop and one clean checkout. This way I can
test always the HEAD trunk against my modifications.

> and please don't take the remark about instability as a personal insult.

No, I did not.

> it's a major rewrite, and of course it will have bugs. and at a time
> where i try to understand and test the last big rewrite, i can't cope
> with another. regression testing quickly becomes useless when the change
> rate is too high.

That is the problem of trunk. Many changes very quickly.

> unfortunately, you are now getting the heat that accumulated during the
> uuid episode. that's tough luch :)
> but the difference is that there was a consensus about uuid being a
> necessary evil to tackle before 1.4. there was no such consensus for the
> ac rewrite.

That is not true, we discussed the AC rewrite a couple of times and it
is a often requested feature. Since it is not closely comparable with
such a big change as the UUID and needs just a small update of the
config I do not see any problems why it should not go into the release.

> >> i'd have loved to try the stuff over the weekend *without* being forced
> >> to...
> >
> > hmm, sorry but to be honest if you have a custom project you should use
> > a revision where you know that it is working. Nobody forces you to use
> > HEAD for your project.

> please. i want to see a re-written ac subsystem as much as you do. but i
> have remarked time and again that this came a little out of the blue, it
> was never on the list of critical milestones before 1.4 and should wait
> until 1.4.1, with the option for the brave to switch manually.

-1

There is no reason to wait for the merge rather then not to force the
user to update their ac policies (which is a simple small task). The
restricted ac is IMO a big improvement regarding access control on
single documents and subtrees.

> afaik, it does not address currently existing security problems (which
> would be a point in favor of a merge), but it will potentially introduce
> new ones (which is a point against).

Like you say potentially, Josias and I agree that the code is good
enough to merge, we tested it and can measure the potentiality of this
issues.

I still would like to merge the code today and advice all to note they
current revision number.

I would like to hear the opinion of others.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: [HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El jue, 31-08-2006 a las 20:05 +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier escribió:
>> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I will now merge back the ac branch into the trunk. This means all
>>> custom pubs need an update!
>> grmbl.
>>
>> as much as i appreciate your work, i think you could have asked first.
>> what's the problem of letting the users decide when to do a svn switch?
>
> Just for the protocol:
> Well, I asked to test more then a week ago. Not only once, I did it many
> times.

my project happened to lie in tatters during that period, and i spent
all of my time fixing it. if the migration to uuids had been a little
less painful, i'd have been one of the first testers to grab your branch
and try it.

> Since I did not get a single reply to this threads I assume lazy
> consensus.

that's why i hollered :)

> I did all the work in the branch to not break trunk. The merge will
> *not* break the trunk AFAIK
                         ^^^^^

get real. this code will have bugs. every piece of code has bugs. and
access control code tends to have *subtle* bugs. but even if it hadn't,
you should still assume it does, that's best practice :)

> just forces the user to update their ac
> config file. I gave clear instructions and examples how to update.
>
> You ask why, because branches should be merged quickly when stable!
>
>> for the first time since mid-june, i've been able to get my project in a
>> state where it will work well enough to allow basic debugging, and here
>> goes the next big source of instability.
>
> Thanks for calling it like this. It would be not such a "big source of
> instability" if more people would help to test like Josias did.

i'm looking forward to test it, but as i said, my test setup has only
been fully usable for the last 24 hours after manually migrating most of
the content...
and please don't take the remark about instability as a personal insult.
it's a major rewrite, and of course it will have bugs. and at a time
where i try to understand and test the last big rewrite, i can't cope
with another. regression testing quickly becomes useless when the change
rate is too high.

unfortunately, you are now getting the heat that accumulated during the
uuid episode. that's tough luch :)
but the difference is that there was a consensus about uuid being a
necessary evil to tackle before 1.4. there was no such consensus for the
ac rewrite.

>> i'd have loved to try the stuff over the weekend *without* being forced
>> to...
>
> hmm, sorry but to be honest if you have a custom project you should use
> a revision where you know that it is working. Nobody forces you to use
> HEAD for your project.

well, you are right. the thing is that a lenya developer told me in
autumn 2005 that lenya would be ready by christmas (2005), and i've been
chasing head ever since, too timid to cut my losses ;-D

*but*, imnsho, part of the mess that the trunk is currently in comes
from the fact that people use mostly trivial test cases:

we have no routine tests for templated publications (my project uses
templating heavily, and i've been filing reports and fixing stuff that
nobody else seems to have noticed).
we have no tests for non-root servlet deployment (i tried it and ran
into problems, there are still a few minor bugs where root is assumed).
we have no tests for i18n (default pub uses it but you can't even switch
languages, so nobody will notice problems).
there are still many places where SoC is violated in modules (most
notably xhtml). you only realize that when you try to get serious work
done with HEAD, not when you click through some default pub documents
and assume all is well.

botom line is this: we need serious testers for trunk. that means trunk
must be in a testable state. that has been rare lately, and even more so
when you take into account the problems with migrating custom publications.
what we don't need is people snickering "i told you so" when testers
fall on their face while trying to keep in sync with HEAD. running
projects on HEAD provides valuable feedback and timely information about
regressions that the default publication cannot provide.

*.*

please. i want to see a re-written ac subsystem as much as you do. but i
have remarked time and again that this came a little out of the blue, it
was never on the list of critical milestones before 1.4 and should wait
until 1.4.1, with the option for the brave to switch manually.
afaik, it does not address currently existing security problems (which
would be a point in favor of a merge), but it will potentially introduce
new ones (which is a point against).

best,

jörn

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El jue, 31-08-2006 a las 20:05 +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I will now merge back the ac branch into the trunk. This means all
> > custom pubs need an update!
>
> grmbl.
>
> as much as i appreciate your work, i think you could have asked first.
> what's the problem of letting the users decide when to do a svn switch?

Just for the protocol:
Well, I asked to test more then a week ago. Not only once, I did it many
times.

Since I did not get a single reply to this threads I assume lazy
consensus.

I did all the work in the branch to not break trunk. The merge will
*not* break the trunk AFAIK just forces the user to update their ac

--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: [HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-due.de>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
Should be fixed now.

salu2

El mar, 05-09-2006 a las 10:10 +0200, Thorsten Scherler escribió:
> El lun, 04-09-2006 a las 19:39 +0200, Michael Wohlfart escribió:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > running the unit tests today got me the following error:
> >
> > Testcase: testSavePolicy took 0,49 sec
> >   FAILED
> > expected:<[]> but was:<[edit]>
> > junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<[]> but was:<[edit]>
> >   at org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.PolicyTest.testSavePolicy(PolicyTest.java:121)
> >
> > BUILD FAILED
> >
> > am i the first one to run the unit tests after the ac-merge or is this a
> > WinXP/JDK1.5 problem ??
>
> Nupp, it seems in general like reported tonight by the zones deployment.
> You can see it in
> http://lenya.zones.apache.org/log/lenya.trunk.update.log .
>
> Thanks for the headsup, we need to update the test as well.
>
> salu2
>

> > best regards
> > Michael

Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: [HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El lun, 04-09-2006 a las 19:39 +0200, Michael Wohlfart escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> running the unit tests today got me the following error:
>
> Testcase: testSavePolicy took 0,49 sec
>   FAILED
> expected:<[]> but was:<[edit]>
> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<[]> but was:<[edit]>
>   at org.apache.lenya.ac.impl.PolicyTest.testSavePolicy(PolicyTest.java:121)
>
> BUILD FAILED
>
> am i the first one to run the unit tests after the ac-merge or is this a
> WinXP/JDK1.5 problem ??

Nupp, it seems in general like reported tonight by the zones deployment.
You can see it in
http://lenya.zones.apache.org/log/lenya.trunk.update.log .

Thanks for the headsup, we need to update the test as well.

salu2

> best regards
> Michael

Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: [HEADSUP] Merge from ac-restricted back to trunk

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-due.de>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I will now merge back the ac branch into the trunk. This means all
> custom pubs need an update!

just for protocol, and assuming i have a say in this:

-1

(and at the same time i promise to try the code early next week and try
to be constructive...)