Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by madppiper <pp...@ilscipio.com> on 2012/11/13 09:10:32 UTC

Re: Question: Free available skeleton of simple shop and portal solution based on OFBiz

Hi Mark,

sorry for the long delay on an answer: The eCommerce app found within the
special purpose directory is more of a demo-case rather than a complete
store. It gives you all the functions you could ask for, but is agreeably
very very difficult to use for smaller stores. Usually, people who want to
use the OFBiz ERP Framework for something like this they:

a) Either take the ecommerce component and reduce/simplify on their own

or

b) Turn to Third-Party implementers and use one of their standardized
components.

As an example for the latter: we on our hand have created our own simplified
store, which you can take a sneak-peek here: http://www.syracus.net . It
comes with some advanced features, like a fully integrated Solr Search,
facetted navigation, responsive design and so on. There's been some
discussions whether one of the agencies may contribute their own store to
the project, but at the moment it is as it is ;)

Apart from that: I can highly recommend both books and in particular the
beginners tutorial.

Regards,
Paul

P.S.: Da du ja deutsch zu seien scheinst - Wenn Du magst kannst Du natürlich
auch gerne einmal durchrufen. Dann kann ich dir vielleicht ein paar gute
Tipps geben.

---
Paul Piper
Geschäftsführer

Web: http://www.ilscipio.com
Tel: (+49) 611-94589441
Mobil: (+49) 176-63283066
Fax: (+49) 611-94589449
eMail: pp@ilscipio.com

ilscipio GmbH
Am Drosselschlag 7
D-35452 Heuchelheim
Germany

Re: Question: Free available skeleton of simple shop and portal solution based on OFBiz

Posted by Mark Schneider <ms...@it-infrastrukturen.org>.
Thank you very much for your answer Paul.

Am 13.11.2012 09:10, schrieb madppiper:
> The eCommerce app found within the
> special purpose directory is more of a demo-case rather than a complete
> store. It gives you all the functions you could ask for, but is agreeably
> very very difficult to use for smaller stores. Usually, people who want to
> use the OFBiz ERP Framework for something like this they:
>
> a) Either take the ecommerce component and reduce/simplify on their own
>
> or
>
> b) Turn to Third-Party implementers and use one of their standardized
> components.
>
> As an example for the latter: we on our hand have created our own simplified
> store, which you can take a sneak-peek here: http://www.syracus.net . It
> comes with some advanced features, like a fully integrated Solr Search,
> facetted navigation, responsive design and so on. There's been some
> discussions whether one of the agencies may contribute their own store to
> the project, but at the moment it is as it is ;)
It makes a very good impression (http://www.syracus.net) - thank you.
What I am interested in are sources of such solutions one could use
after few minor modifications. BigFish source is a nice example however
a bit complex for the start (for me yet).

The OFBiz framework makes a *very* good impression however with long
learning curve. I am missing examples (open sources) of ready to go
(with minor changes) OFBiz applications. I have found already some free
available documentation but I need some time more to study it en détail
(deeper).

I guess there are also some open solutions for websites and special
portal solutions like eg. *uPortal*.

> Apart from that: I can highly recommend both books and in particular the
> beginners tutorial.
I am not sure about the second book (*Apache OfBiz Cookbook* from
packtpbub.com):
*Apache OFBiz Development: The Beginner's Tutorial* [eBook]
Jonathon Wong
Using Services, Entities, and Widgets to build custom ERP and CRM systems
1       Available now   £18.99  eBook bundle discount -50.00% (£9.50)
No tax  £*9.50*

*Apache OfBiz Cookbook* [eBook]
Ruth Hoffman
Over 60 simple but incredibly effective recipes for taking control of OFBiz
1       Available now   £16.99  eBook bundle discount -50.00% (£8.50)
No tax  £*8.50*

Or do you mean some other books like:
The Data Model Resource Book, *Vol. 1*: A Library of Universal Data
Models for All Enterprises
The Data Model Resource Book, *Vol. 2*: A Library of Data Models for
Specific Industries
The Data Model Resource Book, *Vol. 3*: Universal Patterns for Data
Modeling

There is also another book:
Title: *OFBiz E-Commerce Out-Of-The-Box* Author: Ruth Hoffman
Publication Date: Winter 2011

I don't have the possiblity just to look inside them as they are locally
not available in book stores here (Zürich).

> P.S.: Da du ja deutsch zu seien scheinst - Wenn Du magst kannst Du natürlich
> auch gerne einmal durchrufen. Dann kann ich dir vielleicht ein paar gute
> Tipps geben.
Vielen Dank. Ich schreibe Dir direkt (falls es für Dich OK ist).

Thank you in advance for feedback like ideas or hints.

regards, Mark

--
ms@it-infrastrukturen.org

http://rsync.it-infrastrukturen.org

Re: Updating of tutotial / Re: Question: Free available skeleton of simple shop and portal solution based on OFBiz

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Posted by Mark Schneider <ms...@it-infrastrukturen.org>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Mark Schneider wrote:
> I was first following the OFBiz Tutoria (link below) however not all
> steps are clear for me (eg. some missing file and path names or just the
> syntax) and some parts didn't work on apache-ofbiz-10.04.03.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Tutorial+-+A+Beginners+Development+Guide
>
> @ Jacques Le Roux: thanks a lot for including of further details inside
> this tutorial.

Ho, it was nothing compared to Pranay's effort!

Jacques

GrowERP a solution? was: Question: Free available skeleton of simple shop and portal solution based on OFBiz

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
You might want to have a look at our Growerp.com development which will
contain the most simplest website based on the content manager with a
shop option which will be the most simple e-commerce implementation. We
expect a first version in the next 3-4 weeks.

As a bonus you will have  the most simple back-end also available.

Most simple means here that basic ERP functionality is present and can
be used by companies under 5 employees.

The system is fully open source and could use some more contributors.

all info at http://growerp.com

Regards,
Hans

Posted by Mark Schneider <ms...@it-infrastrukturen.org>.
Hello Deepak,

BigFish / Re: Question: Free available skeleton of simple shop and portal solution based on OFBiz

Posted by Mark Schneider <ms...@it-infrastrukturen.org>.
Thank you very much Nick,

Am 15.11.2012 20:48, schrieb Nick Rosser:
> BigFish source is free to download.
> http://http://bigfish.salmonllc.com/bfDownload.html
I have already played a bit with it. A very good work!

> Let me know if you need anything else -- or the very latest version --
> the one posted is a couple of months old now and we've added lots of
> new features (we'll be officially releasing within the next 1-3 weeks).
If you like I would prefer to test the most current version of BigFish
with the newest apache-ofbiz-10.04.04 of course.

Any kind of open source OFBiz application is very helpful for learning
(like portal, FAQ, blog, news etc solutions).

Best regards, Mark

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.
Mark,

BigFish source is free to download.
http://http://bigfish.salmonllc.com/bfDownload.html

Let me know if you need anything else -- or the very latest version --
the one posted is a couple of months old now and we've added lots of new
features (we'll be officially releasing within the next 1-3 weeks).

Best Regards,

Nick Rosser
nrosser@salmonllc.com
O: 516.742.7888 x221
C: 516.901.1720

Posted by Mark Schneider <ms...@it-infrastrukturen.org>.
Hello Nick.

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.

Posted by Deepak Agarwal <da...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mark,

We are walking on the same road you are. We are in the midst of formulating
such solution.

If you are interested in working in collaboration then ping me.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Mark Schneider
<ms...@it-infrastrukturen.org>wrote:

> Thanks a lot for all hints Paul.
>
> Am 14.11.2012 18:15, schrieb madppiper:
>
>  what in particular are you "looking for? As mentioned previously, the
>> problem if you just want to create a simple store is that you are probably
>> going to have to rely on a third party application (of which only a few
>> are
>> free) or going to invest your time into reducing the already available
>> ecommerce application to what is needed. I myself began learning ofbiz
>> that
>> way, btw, by using eCommerce as a basis and reducing it to my needs. So I
>> would say its not a bad start. If you just want to hit it off, however, I
>> would propose to contact one of the agencies (mine or otherwise) to
>> discuss
>> this further.
>>
> I was first following the OFBiz Tutoria (link below) however not all steps
> are clear for me (eg. some missing file and path names or just the syntax)
> and some parts didn't work on apache-ofbiz-10.04.03.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OFBIZ/**
> OFBiz+Tutorial+-+A+Beginners+**Development+Guide<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Tutorial+-+A+Beginners+Development+Guide>
>
> @ Jacques Le Roux: thanks a lot for including of further details inside
> this tutorial.
>
> I will probably start again with BigFish or the included Demo shop and/or
> uPortal and reduce the application code due to my requirements.
>

>  With regards to books: I am referring to both
>>
>> http://www.packtpub.com/**apache-ofbiz-development-**
>> beginners-tutorial/book<http://www.packtpub.com/apache-ofbiz-development-beginners-tutorial/book>
>>
>> and
>>
>> https://www.packtpub.com/**apache-of-biz-cookbook-**
>> effective-recipes-for-of-biz/**book<https://www.packtpub.com/apache-of-biz-cookbook-effective-recipes-for-of-biz/book>
>>
>> Both I can recommend, though they target different audiences each.
>>
> Thank you. I have ordered both of them now (as eBooks).
>

>  Ruths advice on myofbiz.org is also really good - she has a lot of
>> sources there,too.
>>
> Unfortunately the sample chapter and TOC didn't tell me too much. I am not
> too much interested in screenshots but just looking for well documented
> sources of working open source OFBiz applications.
>

>  --
>>
> May I ask how have you achieved the "message in context" link? My posting
> to the list didn't contain such.
>

> regards, Mark
>
> --
> ms@it-infrastrukturen.org
>
> http://rsync.it-**infrastrukturen.org<http://rsync.it-infrastrukturen.org>

Deepak Agarwal,

Mobile: +91 9501190044

Re: Question: Free available skeleton of simple shop and portal solution based on OFBiz

Posted by Mark Schneider <ms...@it-infrastrukturen.org>.

Posted by madppiper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
Hi Mark,

what in particular are you "looking for? As mentioned previously, the
problem if you just want to create a simple store is that you are probably
going to have to rely on a third party application (of which only a few are
free) or going to invest your time into reducing the already available
ecommerce application to what is needed. I myself began learning ofbiz that
way, btw, by using eCommerce as a basis and reducing it to my needs. So I
would say its not a bad start. If you just want to hit it off, however, I
would propose to contact one of the agencies (mine or otherwise) to discuss
this further.

With regards to books: I am referring to both

http://www.packtpub.com/apache-ofbiz-development-beginners-tutorial/book

and

https://www.packtpub.com/apache-of-biz-cookbook-effective-recipes-for-of-biz/book

Both I can recommend, though they target different audiences each. Ruths
advice on myofbiz.org is also really good - she has a lot of sources there,
too.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Question: Free available skeleton of simple shop and portal solution based on OFBiz

Posted by Mark Schneider <ms...@it-infrastrukturen.org>.
Hello Ruth

Am 13.11.2012 14:40, schrieb Ruth Hoffman:
> To be more specific, the entire site, including blog, free content and
> "library" download webpp is run using OFBiz. The ecommerce shopping
> webapp is located at:
> http://www.myofbiz.com/ecommerce
Thank you very much for the link. Your solutions are very impressive. I
like the design .. eg.:
https://www.myofbiz.com/mylibrary/control/main
https://www.myofbiz.com/control/faqs

Can somebody point out exsiting sources of different OFBiz applications.
please? They are a lot of nice looking OFBiz based solutions but
*without* the possibility to download their sources :(

I have searched already a lot on internet (including OFBiz website)
however I have found only few solutions with sources (BigFish, uPortal).

Due to short time resources I don't want "to reinvent the wheel" myself.

Thank you in advance for any hints.

regards, Mark

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Mark:
To be more specific, the entire site, including blog, free content and
"library" download webpp is run using OFBiz. The ecommerce shopping
webapp is located at:
http://www.myofbiz.com/ecommerce

Regards,
Ruth