Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2006/08/02 03:57:56 UTC

Re: svn commit: r20781 - trunk

On 7/25/06, Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> wrote:
> I like the sound of David's suggested approach better.  I found it
> weird that autogen was to be removing the Python bytecode on the
> grounds that we shouldn't be packaging them with the source tarball,
> since it doesn't really strike me as autogen's job.  Doing this in
> dist.sh, on the other hand, is very appropriate, and satisfies Max's
> desired behavior.  I'd +1 a backport of that, but am -0 on the change
> to autogen.

Ditto.

I'm also concerned that there is a spurious -print in autogen.sh right
now that causes a bunch of junk to be printed - there's no need to
emit any info even if we were to delete the pyc's from autogen.sh.  --
justin

Re: svn commit: r20781 - trunk

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 8/22/06, Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:
> 1) the -print argument
>
> I put that in deliberately, because autogen.sh is fairly a fairly chatty
> script, and mentions most of the files it operates on, in its stdout
> messages.

We're talking about deleting over 10 files here - that's just too
excessive, IMHO - plus we're not mentioning what we're doing with
those files  Without the -print, the entire output of autogen.sh is
~21 lines: enough to fit on one console screen.  With this excess, the
output of autogen.sh scrolls off the screen.

> 2) presence in autogen.sh not dish.sh
>
> autogen.sh already contains tarball-rolling-specific operations - see
> the $RELEASE_MODE conditional.
>
> I could happily put the find command inside another $RELEASE_MODE
> conditional if that's preferred.

+1.  -- justin

Re: svn commit: r20781 - trunk

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 8/8/06, Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> wrote:
>> > Ditto.
>> >
>> > I'm also concerned that there is a spurious -print in autogen.sh right
>> > now that causes a bunch of junk to be printed - there's no need to
>> > emit any info even if we were to delete the pyc's from autogen.sh.  --
>>
>> Max, any updates on this one?
>
> Max: *ping*
>
> If we don't hear back in a few days, I will, at the very least, remove
> the -print argument to find.  But, I may also just as likely revert
> this entire commit...  -- justin

Sorry for the lack of response - finding a job, and then finding
somewhere to live whilst working in that job, have taken a rather large
amount of my time recently.

1) the -print argument

I put that in deliberately, because autogen.sh is fairly a fairly chatty
script, and mentions most of the files it operates on, in its stdout
messages.

2) presence in autogen.sh not dish.sh

autogen.sh already contains tarball-rolling-specific operations - see
the $RELEASE_MODE conditional.

I could happily put the find command inside another $RELEASE_MODE
conditional if that's preferred.

Also, note the "rm autogen-standalone.mk" command immediately following
the find command. That is a miscellaneous cleanup command too - if the
find command is deemed inappropriate here, I think the rm must also be.

Max.

Re: svn commit: r20781 - trunk

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: svn commit: r20781 - trunk

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 7/25/06, Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> wrote:
> >I like the sound of David's suggested approach better.  I found it
> >weird that autogen was to be removing the Python bytecode on the
> >grounds that we shouldn't be packaging them with the source tarball,
> >since it doesn't really strike me as autogen's job.  Doing this in
> >dist.sh, on the other hand, is very appropriate, and satisfies Max's
> >desired behavior.  I'd +1 a backport of that, but am -0 on the change
> >to autogen.
>
> Ditto.
>
> I'm also concerned that there is a spurious -print in autogen.sh right
> now that causes a bunch of junk to be printed - there's no need to
> emit any info even if we were to delete the pyc's from autogen.sh.  --

Max, any updates on this one?

- Dan