Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by shital <sh...@optonline.net> on 2006/08/01 17:22:35 UTC

very slow consumer cpu 100%

i have application where JMS server sends me like couple of messages per
second and i have consumer which is very slow. and eventually cpu usage
becomes 100% on consumer's machine. I am using Topic n ot queues. i have set
the prefecth size to 1 on consumer machine. what can i do to control
messages.

my JMS server is fine and its dropping messages if client can not keep up,
thats fine as these are stock prices. but how can i control cpu usage on
consumer's machine

Thanks
Shital

Re: very slow consumer cpu 100%

Posted by Matt Vincent <ma...@gmail.com>.
I have the same problem.  The CPU is maxed out.

Launch through Spring (with org.apache.activemq.xbean.BrokerFactoryBean) and
CPU is 100%
Launch same config through command line (./bin/activemq
xbean:../conf/my-activemq.xml) and CPU is fine (very low)

I've tried this and received the same results for both AMQ 4.1.1 and
5.0-SNAPSHOT.
I've also tried both Spring 1.2.8 and Spring 2.0 with these configs:

--------- Spring 1.2.8 ------------
<bean id="brokerFactory"
class="org.apache.activemq.xbean.BrokerFactoryBean">
		<property name="config" value="classpath:/my-activemq.xml" />
		<property name="start" value="true" />
	</bean>

-------- Spring 2.0 --------------
 <amq:broker brokerName="brokerFactory" useJmx="true" persistent="false">
	<amq:managementContext >
    	<amq:managementContext connectorPort="1099"
jmxDomainName="org.apache.activemq"/>
    </amq:managementContext>
  </amq:broker>

I'm not sure how to read this issue, but does this
(https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1090) mean that since this
100% issue was reported in 2006, it's not a priority fix until release
5.2.0?  Any temporary fixes for this?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Maybe your consumer can't deal with the high rate of messages its receiving?

On 8/1/06, shital <sh...@optonline.net> wrote:

> i already did this. i used netbean's profiler. the main thing is server is
> sending at such high rate that client can not keep up. also on the client
> hand i am trying to update the JTable with whatever data i get.
>
> to update the table i am using SwingUtilities.invokelater(..) . if i just
> read messages and dont do anything then its looks like fine. but if i
> process the message then CPU raises ??
>
> any idea ?
> Thanks
> Shital

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: very slow consumer cpu 100%

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/06, shital <sh...@optonline.net> wrote:

> i tried sleep(..) but that is not helping me, the main thing is rate is so
> high that if i put delay then i can not see Table updating.

Just throttle the rates via sleeping; so you only actually update the
table a few times a second for low CPU boxes and allow the throttle
rate to be larger for faser boxes. Given the rate and the fact that
you are writing a rich client, why is high CPU usage such a concern?

--

James
-------

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
HI shital, then build in delays in procesing the message on the consumer
side.  i.e. after you call invokelater, do a sleep.

On 8/1/06, shital <sh...@optonline.net> wrote:

> i already did this. i used netbean's profiler. the main thing is server is
> sending at such high rate that client can not keep up. also on the client
> hand i am trying to update the JTable with whatever data i get.
>
> to update the table i am using SwingUtilities.invokelater(..) . if i just
> read messages and dont do anything then its looks like fine. but if i
> process the message then CPU raises ??
>
> any idea ?
> Thanks
> Shital

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: very slow consumer cpu 100%

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
I've never seen this before. Could you try run your application in a
profiler to see where the CPU is being spent?

On 8/1/06, shital <sh...@optonline.net> wrote:

> i have application where JMS server sends me like couple of messages per
> second and i have consumer which is very slow. and eventually cpu usage
> becomes 100% on consumer's machine. I am using Topic n ot queues. i have set
> the prefecth size to 1 on consumer machine. what can i do to control
> messages.
>
> my JMS server is fine and its dropping messages if client can not keep up,
> thats fine as these are stock prices. but how can i control cpu usage on
> consumer's machine
>
> Thanks
> Shital

James