Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Andrew Perry2 <PE...@uk.ibm.com> on 2004/10/28 14:24:45 UTC

Test client standards

There has been some discussion on which parameters to pass to the auto
tests, and as far as I can gather the only parameter is a new url if the
default is not to be used., i.e. only 1 parameter per test client. Is this
always true?

For some test automation frameworks it may be advisable to have the client
re-direct stdout internally rather than re-direct it from the command line
so it would be a good idea to allow another 2 parameters, -o <output file>,
to be passed to the clients so that they can optionally write to a file
instead of stdout. This is very easily achieved if the C++ cout is used. If
there is agreement that no other parameters are passed then it is easy just
to say if(argv[2] == "-o") redirect(argv[3]); and we won't have to
implement or include a getopt routine which is a bit of a pain as there
appears not to be any built in support for this in windows. Is it OK to
implement this the simple way?

Also the test clients always seem to return 0 whether or not it passed. If
a test fails it should exit/return a non-zero status. Is it OK to implement
this?

Regards,

Andrew Perry
Clients for Web Service Stack
perryan@uk.ibm.com
Mail Point 127
IBM UK Laboratories. Hursley Park, Winchester, Hants. SO21 2JN
Tel. Internal 249828  External + 44 (0)1962 819828
Fax. + 44(0)1962 818080

Re: Test client standards

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Andrew,
    Re: -o parameter >
    Is it a must that we redirect output from within the test code? Can't we use redirection ('>')
from scripts to do the same? (This would work for both Linux and Windows) I am not sure if this is
possible from an Ant script. If we could do this, tests would be still simpler.
     Also in addition to endpoint URL and output redirection, some tests may require additonal
parameters, (e.g. for calculator add) which we could again feed through redirection using '<'.

    Re: exit/return a non-zero status in case of failure >
    +1.

Thanks,
Samisa...

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail