Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/07/02 06:07:47 UTC

Use of IRC

> some discussions on IRC that we wanted to post to the
> list since the darn logger is not working :(.

IRC is fine for bonding, getting some help in real-time, maybe bouncing some
ideas, but the latter really require the effort be spent to involve the
mailing list.  Yes, you have taken the time to do so.  I'm objecting to the
fact that the logger is not working providing the reason for why.  It
doesn't matter if the logger is working or not.  Discussions on IRC that in
any way effect the direction of the project should be *at least* summarized
in e-mail, where everyone can participate on whatever schedule is available
to them.  And even the e-mail to which I was replying left out background
material.

You can't build a community holding backchannel discussion on IRC.  People
need to be able to see what is happening, learn from it, and involve
themselves via the mailing list.

	--- Noel

Re: Use of IRC

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 00:07, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > some discussions on IRC that we wanted to post to the
> > list since the darn logger is not working :(.
>
> IRC is fine for bonding, getting some help in real-time, maybe bouncing some
> ideas, but the latter really require the effort be spent to involve the
> mailing list.  Yes, you have taken the time to do so.  I'm objecting to the
> fact that the logger is not working providing the reason for why.  It
> doesn't matter if the logger is working or not.  Discussions on IRC that in
> any way effect the direction of the project should be *at least* summarized
> in e-mail, where everyone can participate on whatever schedule is available
> to them.  And even the e-mail to which I was replying left out background
> material.

This is completely the same feel I have for this matter.  It's very
important to keep as much activity on the list as possible.

> You can't build a community holding backchannel discussion on IRC.  People
> need to be able to see what is happening, learn from it, and involve
> themselves via the mailing list.

+1

Alex

RE: Use of IRC

Posted by Paul Bonkowski <pa...@sol-earth.us>.
The logger keeps timing out. I am researching but have many work related
project currently going on. I will get the logger up as fast as I can. If
anyone wants to accelerate this by giving it a shot let me know. Help is
most gratefully appreciated.