Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Doug Lawlor <dl...@warp.nfld.net> on 2005/08/27 09:31:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Directory access or vhost problem?

Hello list, I am in the process of trying to get name based virtual hosts
established on my server (apache 2.0.54 Gentoo linux) and cannot seem to
gain access to the root directory for the host even though it looks like I
have everything set up correctly. When I try to access the host using
Internet Explorer on Windows XP I get a 403 forbidden you don't have
permission to access / on this server error. I have included my virtual host
configuration below.
If someone could take a look at this and indicate where I am going wrong it
would be much appreciated. I have taken a look at the documentation for
setting up virtual hosts as well as the documentation on the <directory>
directive.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Doug Lawlor,
Email: dlawlor@warp.nfld.net
Skype: dlawlor1971

---Begin configuration---

UseCanonicalName off
<directory /var/www/localhost>
order allow,deny
allow from all
</directory>
<virtualhost>
VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/localhost/htdocs
VirtualScriptAlias /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin
ServerAlias www.drl.homelinux.net

</virtualhost>

Re: [users@httpd] Directory access or vhost problem?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 8/27/05, Doug Lawlor <dl...@warp.nfld.net> wrote:
> Hello list, I am in the process of trying to get name based virtual hosts
> established on my server (apache 2.0.54 Gentoo linux) and cannot seem to
> gain access to the root directory for the host even though it looks like I
> have everything set up correctly. When I try to access the host using
> Internet Explorer on Windows XP I get a 403 forbidden you don't have
> permission to access / on this server error. I have included my virtual host
> configuration below.
> If someone could take a look at this and indicate where I am going wrong it
> would be much appreciated. I have taken a look at the documentation for
> setting up virtual hosts as well as the documentation on the <directory>
> directive.
>

> UseCanonicalName off
> <directory /var/www/localhost>
> order allow,deny
> allow from all
> </directory>
> <virtualhost>
> VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/localhost/htdocs
> VirtualScriptAlias /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin
> ServerAlias www.drl.homelinux.net
>
> </virtualhost>

You look to be WAY off in your configuration, which suggests you haven't read
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html#using
In particular, I don't believe you want the Virtual... directives at all.

In addition, you always need to check and report the contents of the
error log when trying to debug problems.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Directory access or vhost problem?

Posted by Christian Ehlers <eh...@gmxpro.de>.
Hello,

do you have an index.html file in that directory?

You get a 403 forbidden if directory listing is not allowed and there is
none of the default files to show in the directory.