Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com> on 2003/05/26 00:48:18 UTC

Re: make error on liveprops.c

Sander Striker wrote:
> If subversion detects Apache, either because you passed --with-apxs, or
> because it found apxs in the default location, it will build mod_dav_svn.
> mod_dav_svn depends on Apaches apr/apr-util.  And because making Subversion
> use two different apr/apr-util versions seems like a bad idea, all of
> subversion will use the apache provided ones.

What this says, then, is that Subversion 0.23.0 mod_dav_svn requires
Apache 2.0.45.

1. Subversion won't compile with an APR I installed from back in the day
of Apache 2.0.44.

2. But just giving Subversion a newer APR, even if we could ignore the
one with Apache 2.0.44 when compiling/linking, is "a bad idea" (supra).

3. Therefore, Subversion should not have any version of Apache less than
2.0.45.

I hadn't realized we had changed which version of Apache is required. We
(I say "we" as if I have done something to contribute ;) ) should
probably indicate this in the docs.

Cheers,

Garret

Re: make error on liveprops.c

Posted by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
>> I hadn't realized we had changed which version of Apache is required.
>> We (I say "we" as if I have done something to contribute ;) ) should
>> probably indicate this in the docs.
>
> Actually, I believe the INSTALL file currently says we need 2.0.45 or
> newer.

Arrr. So it does.

Thanks,

Garret

Re: make error on liveprops.c

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:

> > I hadn't realized we had changed which version of Apache is
> > required. We (I say "we" as if I have done something to contribute
> > ;) ) should probably indicate this in the docs.
>
> Actually, I believe the INSTALL file currently says we need 2.0.45 or
> newer.

We've required apache 2.0.45 (and the apr within it) since svn release
0.21.  It was documented in INSTALL on April 2nd, almost two months
ago.  It was also mentioned in the 0.21 release announcement.

Re: make error on liveprops.c

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 08:48 PM, Garret Wilson wrote:

> Sander Striker wrote:
>> If subversion detects Apache, either because you passed --with-apxs,
>> or
>> because it found apxs in the default location, it will build
>> mod_dav_svn.
>> mod_dav_svn depends on Apaches apr/apr-util.  And because making
>> Subversion
>> use two different apr/apr-util versions seems like a bad idea, all of
>> subversion will use the apache provided ones.
>
> What this says, then, is that Subversion 0.23.0 mod_dav_svn requires
> Apache 2.0.45.
>
> 1. Subversion won't compile with an APR I installed from back in the
> day of Apache 2.0.44.
>
> 2. But just giving Subversion a newer APR, even if we could ignore the
> one with Apache 2.0.44 when compiling/linking, is "a bad idea" > (supra).
>
> 3. Therefore, Subversion should not have any version of Apache less
> than 2.0.45.
>
> I hadn't realized we had changed which version of Apache is required.
> We (I say "we" as if I have done something to contribute ;) ) should
> probably indicate this in the docs.

Actually, I believe the INSTALL file currently says we need 2.0.45 or
newer.

-garrett