Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2002/10/25 16:05:04 UTC

Re: Where do we go from here.

Harmeet Bedi wrote:

>We should have a plan and release manager for the next major release.

+1

>Here are some ideas.
>- Have a single, standard repository API. Noel, others have mentioned JNDI.
>- Move all protocols including NNTP to use that repository API.
>- IMAP Server support.
>- Test Bed to check RFC compliance, performance and stability.
>- Experimental MS Exchange Protocol Support.
>- Move away from Avalon/Phoenix. There has been some talk on this topic. We
>could keep the framework part and not use Phoenix if this is a sensible
>goal.

I would rehprase the last point - istead of moving away from Phoenix,
think about it as seperating execution from deployment cocerns.  Phoneix
is a cool application for handling complex component deployment.  The
key feature of seperation  is being able to choose - and choice is liberty.

Cheers, Steve.

>I think, we should first only collect all the possible things we could do
>and then figure out what it takes to do it i.e. design changes etc.
>It may also be a good idea to cap the expected time frame of next release. A
>good time frame may be 6-9 months.
>
>comments...
>Harmeet
>

>--