Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Schuweiler, Joel J." <Sc...@mayo.edu> on 2005/06/22 17:30:45 UTC

Log4j.properties questions with ConversionPattern and Appender

Below is my log4j.properties file

log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, dest1
log4j.appender.dest1=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.dest1.RemoteHost=logsrv02
log4j.appender.dest1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.dest1.layout.ConversionPattern=[Joels project] - %-4r [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n

First of all it seems as if I can't get the socket appender to actually connect. I do use a fqdn but I have removed it from this paste.

My second issue is regarding my conversion pattern or perhaps a better way to do what I am trying for. I am looking for an easy way to handle logging from multiple applications all sending data back to a server socket. I am looking for an easy way for people to send their project name so the file can quickly be split up into appropriate log files for each project.

thanks

Joel Schuweiler
Middleware
Schuweiler.Joel@mayo.edu