Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric Douglas <ed...@blockhouse.com> on 2010/11/23 23:00:17 UTC

Embedded client processing time

Running FOP from embedded code using Java's webstart for client-server
processing, I need to run part of the code on the client in order to use
the PreviewPanel class.
Certain class methods run a long time the first time.  If I execute them
again shortly after they're fast enough, unless I clear the Java cache.
Is there any way to speed up that first time processing?  These are the
particular methods I'm seeing problems with.
PreviewPanel.showPage()
FopFactory.newInstance()
InputHandler.renderTo()

Re: Embedded client processing time

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
That's the JVM starting up, loading classes, initializing objects and
variables and doing just-in-time compiling. That's to be expected and
you can't do much about it.

Like I mentioned on 2010-11-19, I'd generate a bitmap on the server and
display that in your client if performance is so important. That reduces
the amount of code that has to be loaded and executed on the client. FOP
is a rather big component after all (and the JARs have to be sent to the
client, too). But even then, the first document will always take longest
to display.

On 23.11.2010 23:00:17 Eric Douglas wrote:
> Running FOP from embedded code using Java's webstart for client-server
> processing, I need to run part of the code on the client in order to use
> the PreviewPanel class.
> Certain class methods run a long time the first time.  If I execute them
> again shortly after they're fast enough, unless I clear the Java cache.
> Is there any way to speed up that first time processing?  These are the
> particular methods I'm seeing problems with.
> PreviewPanel.showPage()
> FopFactory.newInstance()
> InputHandler.renderTo()

Jeremias Maerki