Posted to dev@myriad.apache.org by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io> on 2015/06/12 00:28:13 UTC

Re: Myriad/YARN configuration

+dev@myriad, -user@mesos

Posted by Bill Sparks <js...@cray.com>.
Ok, so if we/I have 48 nodes, each with 64 HT-cores and 128GB memory and I want YARN to FULLY utilize the whole system. My profile would/should be

cpu: 52 # 80% to core max
mem: 104448 # 80% of node mem

Or basically set it to yarn-site.xml yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores and yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-mb

--
Jonathan (Bill) Sparks
Software Architecture

From: Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, June 12, 2015 9:06 AM
To: Bill Sparks <js...@cray.com>>
Cc: "dev@myriad.incubator.apache.org<ma...@myriad.incubator.apache.org>" <de...@myriad.incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Myriad/YARN configuration

Bill,

I'm at a computer now so I'll take a little more time to explain.  The profiles are used by the REST API so that you can tell a the resource manager to add a new node manager with cpu and memory defined by the profile.  If you set a profile large as:
large:
  cpu: 16
  mem: 32768

then you could flexup using {profile: large, instances: 10} to get 10 nodemanagers running with 32 GB memory and 16 cpu core capacity.  You could flexdown {instance: 10} to remove the capacity.  How to flexup/flexdown is documented in API.md.  You can also flexup/flexdown using the webui that runs in port 8192.

In the near future we plan to have fine grain scaling, then when you launch a resource manager you'll also launch instance of node manager with 0 cpu and 0 mem capacity.  As you run yarn applications the node managers will add cpu and mem capacity to meet your jobs container needs.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Darin

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Bill Sparks <js...@cray.com>> wrote:
I've changed them with no ill effect. Just wondering what the purpose is. My yarn configurations will allow much more that the profiles set by mesos/myriad. So is myriad scheduler going to bounce the request based on profiles or be passive and let yarn containers do the work. All this is early days for me.

--
Jonathan (Bill) Sparks
Software Architecture

From: Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, June 11, 2015 5:36 PM
To: "dev@myriad.incubator.apache.org<ma...@myriad.incubator.apache.org>" <de...@myriad.incubator.apache.org>>
Cc: Bill Sparks <js...@cray.com>>

I've changed the profiles before with no ill effect, you should be fine.

Posted by Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com>.
Bill,

From: Darin Johnson <db...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, June 11, 2015 5:36 PM