Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org> on 2001/12/12 23:05:43 UTC

Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Is their a standard or common "Change Log" and "To Do" format for
Jakarta projects?  I would like to add a change log to the Jetspeed project.

It appears the Cocoon project uses Stylebook.  Jakarta projects use
Anakia, but I have not found any macros in Jakarta-site2 that reference
a Change Log or To Do list.

Paul Spencer

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> writes:

> Could we get the CVS to preformat its change reports in XML when it
> emails them over?
>
> The other thing I've started to wonder is whether we should be using the
> Bugzilla enhancements as a TODO list, and then link to there from a page
> on the site.
>
> Do we have much control over the Bugzilla email reports? Could it send
> us stuff in XML?
>
> Will Scarab be able to help us with this in the future?

All of these are possible, but each requires some amount of
development effort.

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Here's an odd idea:

Could we get the CVS to preformat its change reports in XML when it
emails them over?

The other thing I've started to wonder is whether we should be using the
Bugzilla enhancements as a TODO list, and then link to there from a page
on the site.

Do we have much control over the Bugzilla email reports? Could it send
us stuff in XML?

Will Scarab be able to help us with this in the future?

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Ted Husted wrote:

> On a similar note, has anyone started a format for a XML Status file,
> like the one described here:

BTW, the Avalon team decided to abandon maintaining a separate TODO file
in favor of using BugZilla for the same thing.  It is less likely to be
lost in the shuffle, thanks to the periodic notifications we get from
BugZilla (although I haven't seen any lately....).

> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html
>

> Ted Husted wrote:
>
>>We have a rudimentary XML format for a TODO list at Struts, but it needs
>>work. Here's a sample
>>
>>    <task name="Action">
>>      <info>
>>package.</p>
>>      </info>
>>      <assigned>
>>      </assigned>
>>    </task>
>>
>>Right now, we put "release notes" into the documentation, which acts as
>>a Change Log. That's been a real pain though, and I'm not sure if it's
>>effective.
>>
>>What would be handy if we had compatible TODO and Changelog XML formats,
>>so when something was done, we could update the TODO and then paste it
>>into to the Changelog.
>>
>>-T.
>>
>>Paul Spencer wrote:
>>
>>>Is their a standard or common "Change Log" and "To Do" format for
>>>Jakarta projects?  I would like to add a change log to the Jetspeed project.
>>>
>>>It appears the Cocoon project uses Stylebook.  Jakarta projects use
>>>Anakia, but I have not found any macros in Jakarta-site2 that reference
>>>a Change Log or To Do list.
>>>
>>>Paul Spencer

> .

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 12/14/01 7:28 AM, "Ted Husted" <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> We have a rudimentary XML format for a TODO list at Struts, but it needs
> work. Here's a sample
>
>   <task name="Action">
>     <info>
> package.</p>
>     </info>
>     <assigned>
>     </assigned>
>   </task>
>
> Right now, we put "release notes" into the documentation, which acts as
> a Change Log. That's been a real pain though, and I'm not sure if it's
> effective.
>
> What would be handy if we had compatible TODO and Changelog XML formats,
> so when something was done, we could update the TODO and then paste it
> into to the Changelog.

Or one XML doc containing the todo info, and then generate a TODO doc and
Changelog doc from it based on a status attrib or something...

 #set($todolist = $node.selectNodes( "todo[@status='todo']") )

Or some such. ( Give a guy some basic Xpath knowledge...)

We don't need no steenkeeng pasting...

System and Software Consulting
Be a giant.  Take giant steps.  Do giant things...

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vidar Braut Haarr <vi...@coretrek.com>.
http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl/

A Perl script that can generate HTML, XML or PlainText ChangeLog's from CVS
messages.

Setting up a cron-job using cvs2cl.pl to generate XML and then utilizing
XSLT to make a HTML page could be a nice solution.

Vidar Braut Haarr
CoreTrek A/S

"Programmers don't die,
they just GOSUB without RETURN."

Posted by Scott Sanders <ss...@nextance.com>.
> on 12/12/01 3:19 PM, "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator"
> <bu...@openprivacy.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Enlighten me... what are the benefits of an XML based changelog...
> > besides the ability to XSLT it into html (I don't think this is
> > necessary).
>
> Eewww...XSLT...

:) To each his own.

> How about being able to transform it into a ChangeLog.txt and
> a ChangeLog.html?

Exactly.

Scott

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The advantage of XML for changelogs is that is easier to generate the
> ChangeLog in whatever format you want. For instance Avalon generates HTML
> (same format as cactus changelog), GNUs format and a lite text format. We
> even use it it when generating our announcement texts/xml snippets for new
> versions. I think (though I am not sure) that Berin even versions his PDF
> documents using an XML changelog (and these documents are also available as
> html).

Yep, this is true!

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Cheers,

Pete

"You know what a dumbshit the 'average man' on the street is? Well, by
definition, half of them are even dumber than that!"
					J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

RE: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by Scott Sanders <ss...@nextance.com>.
> > We use XML format via Anakia in velocity-land and don't have any
> > problems... I don't really mind.
> <snip>
>
> Enlighten me... what are the benefits of an XML based
> changelog... besides the ability to XSLT it into html (I
> don't think this is necessary).

http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/changes.html

Vs.

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/CHANGES_2.0

I like both ;-)

But, I happen to see more value in the pretty one :)  Makes me happy to
see that bugs were smashed (the hammer), and other such niceties.  And
the advantage of the XML one is that the text one is easily producable,
if necessary.

Scott Sanders

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> writes:

> My point was that its not painful at all, which I think was your contention.

Yeah, the XML formatting is extremely light, and the Ant/Anakia build
does the transformation with the execution of a single target.  I'm
generally not big on XML, but the lightweight format used by most
Jakarta projects in conjuction with Anakia is working very well.

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

On 12/12/01 5:14 PM, "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator" <bu...@openprivacy.org>
wrote:

> Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org> writes:
>
>> Is their a standard or common "Change Log" and "To Do" format for Jakarta
>> projects?  I would like to add a change log to the Jetspeed project.
>
> No.  I have seen a lot of people use XML changelogs.  This is WAY overkill
> IMO.
> Just use text an a GNU style format.
>

> Version x.x
> - -----------
>
> * changed foo so that it is now bar
>
>> It appears the Cocoon project uses Stylebook.  Jakarta projects use Anakia,
>> but I have not found any macros in Jakarta-site2 that reference a Change Log
>> or To Do list.
>
> I predict that they will become sick of working with an XML format  :)
>
> Kevin

System and Software Consulting
"He who throws mud only loses ground." - Fat Albert

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

Re: Standard "Change Log" and "ToDo"

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Is it better become a specification and handle by root (apache.org, not sub
project of jakarta and xml)

So that specification can be used by any open source project???

I think this is a common task in a SDLC.

In my environment, I create a form that can write, update and delete (this
is run on top of cocoon)...and i try to add a generate html or xml later...

It is easier...

or.. if all of you have a commit to make a XML, and every developer must
used that format.. but where is the XSD???

Because I used XML Spy, and this XSD help me well..

I create an XSD for Portlet for JEtspeed (posted in mailing list)... and it
is very usefull for me.. because I used Jetspeed intensively...

Frans

Posted by Scott Sanders <ss...@nextance.com>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 12/12/01 2:05 PM, "Paul Spencer" <pa...@apache.org> wrote:

> Jakarta projects use
> Anakia, but I have not found any macros in Jakarta-site2 that reference
> a Change Log or To Do list.
>
> Paul Spencer

+1.

Feel free to add some...