Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Frento Burton <fb...@scs.howard.edu> on 2011/01/26 17:32:16 UTC

Tested Linux Distributions

Hi All,

This is my first time mailing to the vcl-dev mailing list. I am brand
spanking new to VCL and I basically would like to install it on a couple of
machines at my university. I pulled the install documentation from the
apache respitory and it appears to be straight forward (However, working
with linux, nothing is a guarantee). I noticed that the documentation
referenced Red-hat and Cent OS. Are these the only distros that have been
tested with VCL? I'm more of an Ubuntu guy and I was wondering if VCL would
also work with Ubuntu or Fedora. Thanks for your help.

Re: Tested Linux Distributions

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Sorry, I'm not aware of any. Most likely it will work fine. VCL depends
on apache httpd, php, mysql, perl, and openssh-client, and all seem to
be pretty stable on these distros.

Aaron

--

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: Tested Linux Distributions

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hello Frento,

Welcome.

VCL itself should work fine on Fedora. I've not tested it on Ubuntu, but
others on the list may have.

What are you planning provisioning? vmware, standalone machines,
bare-metal with xCAT?

Aaron