Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> on 2011/05/09 05:03:10 UTC

Confluence migration

I had a good chat (in person) with Nick Burch who has written a migration script for Confluence to Markdown for the new Apache CMS. It looks like we can automate at least part of those process, and I'll look into what is needed for this (but probably not for a couple of weeks).

That takes care of the website itself. Now we need to decide what to do about:

1. Documentation
2. Wiki
3. Blog/News on the front page
4. Main website

For (1) I've already committed some docbook creation scripts. Did anyone get a chance to try it out and look at the process? I'd like to take a vote on the direction of this and see who would have time to help convert the docs. I tested some html to docbook converters and am not sure whether they save time since they introduce quite a lot of mess.

I'll need to ask about the preferred Apache way to solve (2). I wonder if something like StackOverflow might be a reasonable alternative to a wiki. More FAQ than documentation, but perhaps useful for us.

I think (3) can be done within the Apache CMS, but I need to read more about it.

(4) seems simple enough: I'll chat to Nick and play with his conversion scripts. We need to get a staging site up and running first.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Confluence migration

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> I need to look into DocBook more.  I am also interested in the ability
> to output EPUB with it.  I think in the next couple years e-readers
> (and/or tablets) are going to be much more popular and it would be
> good to have a format designed for those devices so people can carry
> the docs around to read about Cayenne.

Interesting, didn't know that about docbook.

Cayenne for me as a user feels like "the mac of the orms" (without
price of course). Having the docs in any format I wish would support
this feeling.

Re: Confluence migration

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 10/05/11 1:43 AM, Michael Gentry wrote:
> Yeah, SO isn't a wiki.  It is a Q&A forum where answers can be voted
> up/down.  The theory being that helpful answers will bubble to the top
> of the replies so you don't have to read through everything.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting that SO replaces everything that a wiki does. I also don't believe that it replaces a user mailing list. But certain things (like the recent question about null dates in mysql) would be well suited to having greater visibility. And our wiki doesn't get much love from our users. Part of that could be about the difficulty of getting access, and part about the difficulty of knowing where to put things. A good FAQ should be fairly flat (unstructured), have easy to use tagging, a good search, and take less than 5 minutes to create a new account and post an answer.

> I need to look into DocBook more.

Please run the maven goals I created and see how it works for you. Then if you want lots of reading, the Sage Hill website has the best documentation available. And the best tool to play with editing the source is Oxygen/Author.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Confluence migration

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
Yeah, SO isn't a wiki.  It is a Q&A forum where answers can be voted
up/down.  The theory being that helpful answers will bubble to the top
of the replies so you don't have to read through everything.

I need to look into DocBook more.  I am also interested in the ability
to output EPUB with it.  I think in the next couple years e-readers
(and/or tablets) are going to be much more popular and it would be
good to have a format designed for those devices so people can carry
the docs around to read about Cayenne.

mrg

Re: Confluence migration

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> Yeah I am semi-following that discussion. SO is not a wiki though. If I understand correctly it is mentioned as something that can potentially replace mailing lists for the purposes of user support?

Yes, and only user support. Dev lists are not in question.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Confluence migration

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Confluence migration

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Confluence migration

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On May 9, 2011, at 6:03 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> I had a good chat (in person) with Nick Burch who has written a migration script for Confluence to Markdown for the new Apache CMS. It looks like we can automate at least part of those process, and I'll look into what is needed for this (but probably not for a couple of weeks).

Awesome.

> That takes care of the website itself. Now we need to decide what to do about:
>
> 1. Documentation
> 2. Wiki
> 3. Blog/News on the front page
> 4. Main website
>

> For (1) I've already committed some docbook creation scripts. Did anyone get a chance to try it out and look at the process? I'd like to take a vote on the direction of this and see who would have time to help convert the docs. I tested some html to docbook converters and am not sure whether they save time since they introduce quite a lot of mess.

Not yet. A bit overwhelmed with other things these days. But I will.