Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/29 23:36:27 UTC

[WWW] question about current Web site instructions...

I'm looking at --

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html

In the SETUP area, past the svn instructions is a section on installing
python that also references the Apache CMS. Are these only needed for
basically building the "ooo" site locally? That is, if you intend to
duplicate what say the "ooo" site on your local machine's "web area",
assuming you had this activated?

I would like to edit this page to  provide more information to "new"
participants generally speaking who might only be providing "patches" to
either the project website, "ooo", or the user portal, "ooo-site". So, I
need a bit of guidance. Thanks.

MzK

"Follow your bliss."
         -- attributed to Joseph Campbell

Re: [WWW] question about current Web site instructions...

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 30, 2012, at 2:00 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-01-30 11:56 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

>> Start here:
>> I'm not a committer on $project, which uses the CMS. Can I still use the
>> CMS?
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/**cmsref.html#non-committer<http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#non-committer>
>>
>> Updates to the /dev site appreciated as well, especially to make this kind
>> of ASF-wide technical details about how to use the CMS and other ASF
>> deployed systems more useful for new users.  Remember, not all Apache
>> projects use the CMS, many still use Confluence (wiki export) or their own
>> custom setup.
>>
>> - Shane
>>

> Thank you, Shane! Although I HAD read through the CMS reference at one
> time, I had overlooked this!

It's new in the past couple of months I was surprised myself!

Thanks for listening Joe!

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2012, at 2:36 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at --
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html
> >
> > In the SETUP area, past the svn instructions is a section on installing
> > python that also references the Apache CMS. Are these only needed for
> > basically building the "ooo" site locally?
>
> Yes. Only locally.
>
> > That is, if you intend to
> > duplicate what say the "ooo" site on your local machine's "web area",
> > assuming you had this activated?
>
> You need that for local builds. Like for example experimenting with the
> website's design.
>

> > I would like to edit this page to  provide more information to "new"
> > participants generally speaking who might only be providing "patches" to
> > either the project website, "ooo", or the user portal, "ooo-site". So, I
> > need a bit of guidance. Thanks.
>
> Joe has enabled anonymous bookmarklet activity with the ability to create
> a patch instead of staging and publishing.

oh -- how nice! This would be a HUGE help... can you supply details? Should
users just use "anonymous" as the user id? Really this is a super!

> This will let anyone "edit" a page on either site. Non-committers will
> need to attach the patch to a BZ issue or email. BZ is probably best.
>
> I hope this will get you started.
>
> Sorry, I haven't got to my rewrite of this page. Really busy @work.

No problem...I know we all have other things in our lives... and, as a
community, responsibilities fall on ALL of us. Thanks again for the useful
info!

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.