Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by y_...@tsmc.com on 2009/06/23 02:46:47 UTC

Katta for secondary index?

Hi there,

HBase access data only by key, right?
Anybody use HBase + Katta(for secondary index)? Does it work?
We just want to transfer part of our Oracle table data to HBase
for multi parallel computing.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you

Fleming
                                                         TSMC PROPERTY
 for the sole use of its
 other than the intended
 please notify the sender by
 immediately. Thank you.

Re: Katta for secondary index?

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:46 PM, <y_...@tsmc.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> HBase access data only by key, right?
> Anybody use HBase + Katta(for secondary index)? Does it work?

Katta works but its just a means of distributing lucene indices.  You need
to make the indices first.  You've checked out the BuildTableIndex mapreduce
job in hbase?  It indexes table contents.  The index is sharded by the
number of reducers you run.  Perhaps you can have Katta deploy this product
for you?  Perhaps the indices made are not what you want for secondary
lookups but you could adapt BuildTableIndex?

Does the table change frequently?  A batch job to redo the index is OK with
you?  In TRUNK you could run a scan that only found records created after a
certain date so you could add incremental indices and then do the full build
of the index at some lesser frequency.

There is also the experimental tableindexed subclass of hbase that will keep
up a secondary table as an index using transactional hbase so insert into
primary and secondary table is done as a single transaction (Its not yet in
trunk but should be here soon).

St.Ack