Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jay Ehrhart <yo...@ycoe.org> on 2004/09/24 16:39:40 UTC

Spammers using my server

This morning I had over 7000 emails in my Linux server's outbound queue
which I deleted.  My firewall log shows over 20,000 emails went out with a
SunTrust bank announce saying to login and enter your username and password.
I do not see the emails coming in like I would in a relay.  How can I stop
this or how are they doing this?

My firewall using a SMTP proxy and only allows my domain in.  I run
MailScanner on my Red Hat 3.0 mail server with Sendmail.  The box has the
lastest patches from Red Hat.  I have Sendmail setup to accept only my
domain email.

The non-deliverable reports are coming from my Linux apache user.
Non-deliverables usually come from root.  I am running apache on the server
with forms.  The forms software is the latest version and patches.

Can anybody help on this?

Thanks,
Jay

Re: Spammers using my server

Posted by Kevin Peuhkurinen <ke...@hepcoe.com>.
This question isn't really appropriate to a SpamAssassin forum.

For what it's worth, it sounds like someone exploited an Apache vuln on
your system and installed a mail generator.   Given the severity of this
(ie you are sending out thousands of email phishing frauds) you should
probably take the server off the network until you fix it.

Re: Spammers using my server

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.
* Jay Ehrhart <yo...@ycoe.org>:

> This morning I had over 7000 emails in my Linux server's outbound queue
> which I deleted.  My firewall log shows over 20,000 emails went out with a
> SunTrust bank announce saying to login and enter your username and password.
> I do not see the emails coming in like I would in a relay.  How can I stop
> this or how are they doing this?

Check your logs. They tell you how the mail entered your system

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrum)          Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155

Re: Spammers using my server

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
Some system on your internal network is "owned" by a hacker network. It
is time to clean all your windows machines COMPLETELY of viruses.

{^_^}

Re: Spammers using my server

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 10:39 AM 9/24/2004, Jay Ehrhart wrote:
>This morning I had over 7000 emails in my Linux server's outbound queue
>which I deleted.  My firewall log shows over 20,000 emails went out with a
>SunTrust bank announce saying to login and enter your username and password.
>I do not see the emails coming in like I would in a relay.  How can I stop
>this or how are they doing this?

Sounds like some kind of abuse of an onboard http proxy, script,
installation of a backdoor, or some other such thing that's letting them
queue mail directly from the local host.

Clearly it's not a direct SMTP open relay (I checked, trying to send myself
mail, didn't work which is good)

I'd suggest running a good battery of tests:
http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

If that doesn't show anything obvious like HTTP proxies, look for a trojan
or backdoor on your system. chkrootkit is a good tool to do a first-pass check.

Re: Spammers using my server

Posted by Jay Ehrhart <yo...@ycoe.org>.
Thank you very much.  The spammer was using an exploit in Formmail.cgi which
I use on my web site which has now been disabled.  They crafted a message,
inserted it into the formmail on the web page which delivered it to sendmail
for delivery.  Normally it would have gone to the local email account but
they were able to set an outside email address so sendmail began delivering
the emails.

Thanks