Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nikolaus Rath <Ni...@rath.org> on 2013/09/10 17:23:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Using CONNECT with SSL Proxy

Hello,

I would like to establish a TLS connection to my apache proxy and then
use the CONNECT method. I have configured a virtual host with
"ProxyRequests On" and "SSLProxyEngine On".

Accessing the proxy over TLS works fine, but as soon as I issue the
CONNECT command, the TLS connection breaks down. If I disable the
mod_proxy_connect module, I'm getting a proper error message instead.

Is it possible that the mod_proxy_connect module bypasses the TLS
layer and tries to forward data directly to the client? That's pretty
much the only explanation I can come up with.

Is there any way to get this to work?

I'm using Apache 2.2.

Thanks,
Nikolaus

Re: [users@httpd] Is it alive?

Posted by Mauricio Tavares <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Smith, Burton
<Bu...@williams.com> wrote:
> I'm told "there are no firewall issues", but firewall does make the most sense.

      Have you tried to connect to it from localhost?

> I'll have to look up the apachectrl.  I don't think it is working correctly it says:
>  * [root@dxnpb2 extra]# /usr/sbin/apachectl status
>  * ELinks: SSL error
>  * [root@dxnpb2 extra]# /usr/sbin/apachectl fullstatus
>  * ELinks: SSL error

       That does not look like firewall issue to me. maybe missing certs?

> Nothing useful in the logs.  That is another known concern.

      You probably could go to your virtual host config and tell
apache to blab nonstop.

> Tcpdump is only showing the ICMP rejects.

      Does netstat show it listening to the ports you configured?

Re: [users@httpd] Is it alive?

Posted by Peter Kühnlein <pe...@function2form.net>.
Am 18.09.2013 00:15, schrieb Smith, Burton:
> I'm told "there are no firewall issues", but firewall does make the most sense.
>
> I'll have to look up the apachectrl.  I don't think it is working correctly it says:
>   * [root@dxnpb2 extra]# /usr/sbin/apachectl status
>   * ELinks: SSL error
>   * [root@dxnpb2 extra]# /usr/sbin/apachectl fullstatus
>   * ELinks: SSL error
>
> Nothing useful in the logs.  That is another known concern.
if you got nmap installed, you might as well try

nmap (subnet or ip-address)

e.g., i use
nmap 192.168.2.* to check all machines on that local subnet

--

http://function2form.net
http://peter-kuehnlein.net

"As Yasuda Ukyo said about offering the last wine cup, only the end of things is important. One's whole life should be like this."
(Hagakure)

Re: [users@httpd] Is it alive?

Posted by Vincenzo D'Amore <v....@gmail.com>.
if you try:

# netstat -nltp

you should see all listening sockets and related processes
So you should see if apache is listening where is listening.

if you see something like this:

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
     984/apache2

or this:

tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN
     984/apache2

apache is listening on localhost too. So you could try something easy like:

# curl localhost

And see if actually you have a firewall problem

--
Vincenzo D'Amore
email: v.damore@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Is it alive?

Posted by Peter Kühnlein <pe...@function2form.net>.

RE: [users@httpd] Is it alive?

Re: [users@httpd] Is it alive?

Posted by Jim Barchuk <jb...@jbarchuk.com>.
HiHi!

Re: [users@httpd] Is it alive?

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.
Smith, Burton wrote:
> How do you tell if a server is running apache?
>   * I can see processes running.
>   * I can't surf to it - website is online but isn't responding to connection 	attempts.

Firewall?
Is it working as localhost on the machine.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

[users@httpd] Is it alive?

Re: [users@httpd] Using CONNECT with SSL Proxy

Posted by Nikolaus Rath <Ni...@rath.org>.
Hi Eric,

Do you have a link? I'm not able to find it on
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/ (tried searching for
mod_proxy_connect, proxy + connect + ssl, proxy + connect + tls, proxy +
connect).

Thanks!
-Nikolaus

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
please search bugzilla, there is a long-standing issue.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Nikolaus Rath <Ni...@rath.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to establish a TLS connection to my apache proxy and then
> use the CONNECT method. I have configured a virtual host with
> "ProxyRequests On" and "SSLProxyEngine On".
>
> Accessing the proxy over TLS works fine, but as soon as I issue the
> CONNECT command, the TLS connection breaks down. If I disable the
> mod_proxy_connect module, I'm getting a proper error message instead.
>
> Is it possible that the mod_proxy_connect module bypasses the TLS
> layer and tries to forward data directly to the client? That's pretty
> much the only explanation I can come up with.
>
> Is there any way to get this to work?
>
> I'm using Apache 2.2.
>
> Thanks,
> Nikolaus