Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 1999/04/05 21:57:15 UTC

NSPR ping.

I tried sending a note about this a few minutes ago, and as far as I can
tell it didn't go through, so I am sending a new one.  If this was sent
twice, I'm sorry.

I am pinging about my favorite topic again, NSPR.  It is now April 5th,
and we still haven't heard anything about the new Mozilla License.  They
have been in the news for the last week, because Mozilla is 1 year old,
but nothing about the next release with a new License, not even when it
can be expected.

They have recently lost at least one of their key developers, and I would
assume that with AOL laying off 430 people at Netscape, that some people
at Mozilla have been let go.

How much longer do we wait until we decide to either commit to NSPR or
dump it and go with APR.  I believe we need to make a decision and stick
to it.  If we decide to go with APR and then three weeks from now, NSPR is
released, so we change to NSPR, we will have lost a lot of time.  WE can
get APR started this week, and as soon as the File I/O stuff is written,
it can be added to the server while Network I/O code is written.  I think
we can get APR written and in the apache-apr tree by the end of next month
in a worst case scenario.

I am +1 on giving up on NSPR now, and beginning work on APR.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd

Re: NSPR ping.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I am +1 on giving up on NSPR now, and beginning work on APR.

+1
--
#ken	P-)}

Re: NSPR ping.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I am +1 on giving up on NSPR now, and beginning work on APR.

+1

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: NSPR ping.

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
Ryan Bloom wrote:
 > I am +1 on giving up on NSPR now, and beginning work on APR.

+1

- ben

Re: NSPR ping.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I am +1 on giving up on NSPR now, and beginning work on APR.

+1 on APR

Apache already has most of the details somewhere in its code on how to
do portable file and network handling. Portable threads are a bit
tougher, but I'd bet we still want something highly-tuned for Apache; we
can also find some portable thread handling in things like Python's
thread*.h headers.

IMO, these kinds of libraries are a rather small proportion of your
overall time, so any "duplication" of effort is relatively
insignificant. Either they are small and tight and well-tuned to the
client of the library (Apache), or they are large and hard-to-maintain
because they try to be all things to all clients. Really: APR is not
going to be that large.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: NSPR ping.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.
On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I am pinging about my favorite topic again, NSPR.  It is now April 5th,
> and we still haven't heard anything about the new Mozilla License.  They
> have been in the news for the last week, because Mozilla is 1 year old,
> but nothing about the next release with a new License, not even when it
> can be expected.

Well, seeing as how you guys were one of the prime drivers to get their
license changed, if you can't get them to answer your calls and commit to
a date to publish the license you said you were happy with, then I guess
I've got no business standing in your way.  I'd love to not see
duplication of work, especially when it's because a license was simply not
published early enough, but if it doesn't look like it's changing, then go
for it.

I've got one other avenue I can ask about the license.... I'll send them
an email.

> They have recently lost at least one of their key developers, and I would
> assume that with AOL laying off 430 people at Netscape, that some people
> at Mozilla have been let go.

Let's not spread FUD about Mozilla.  Jamie left, but as best I could tell
(and I've known Jamie a little while now, and my wife used to work with
him at Lucid), it was as much for personal reasons as management reasons.
I happen to think he took a lot of it very personally, and I think Frank
Hecker's analysis of Mozilla at one year old is really on the money:

  http://www.mozilla.org/mozilla-at-one.html

But Jamie's right: software is hard.  That's why I've tried to be cautious
about not duplicating work that other people have done.

But, yeah, if things aren't working out, they aren't working out.  Time to
fish or cut bait as they say.

	Brian

Re: NSPR ping.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
I think I've made my ambivalence pretty clear in the past... I like NSPR
-- it is a goal we should strive for with APR.  You've got the energy.
The license is holding us back on NSPR, so it makes sense.

Dean