Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Wilson <dw...@botanicus.net> on 2004/12/14 01:24:09 UTC

svn 1.1 UI regression bug?

Hi there,

I have been using Subversion 1.1 for about 3 weeks now, and on the whole
I've had no surprises. I accidently commited a symlink to a repository,
which despite not being what I had intended to do, turned out rather
useful anyway. Ok, so on to my little niggle:

I have a set of working copies stored in ~/www/, a subset of which I
like to have updated daily by cron. My cron script started failing with 1.1:

    svn: '/home/dw/www' is not a working copy

The command-line for this looked like:

    svn up /home/dw/www/site-a /home/dw/www/site-b /home/dw/www/site-c

With 1.0, svn would treat these as individual working copies and update
correctly as expected, but with 1.1 it appears that svn is trying to
optimise the request by finding a common root, and failing to do so.

I would imagine the old (and in my case preferred) svn 1.0 interface
behaviour should be easy enough to emulate in 1.1. The only question is,
is this actually a bug? I personally don't see how it can't be classed
as a UI regression bug.

Thoughts? Please CC: me directly as my -users mailbox isn't read very
often. :)

Thanks,

David.

Re: svn 1.1 UI regression bug?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Dec 14, 2004, at 9:07 AM, Max Bowsher wrote:

> I think this is definitely a bug.
> Would you like to file it in the issue tracker?

Can anybody reproduce it first, before we file it?  Like, a shell
script which demonstrates the problem?  I can't reproduce it.

Re: svn 1.1 UI regression bug?

Posted by David Wilson <dw...@botanicus.net>.
On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 03:07:18PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:

> I think this is definitely a bug. Would you like to file it in the
> issue tracker?

Hi there,

I have just discovered the cause of the problem: one of my ~/www/
working copies was actually a symlink to another place in the filesystem
(that did indeed contain a real working copy) - this symlink was created
by me within a day or two of upgrading to 1.1.

I think svn should possibly have complained about the symlink, or at
least not got confused when traversing it. I had to 'svn cleanup' the WC
it pointed to after svn errored out.

A few more error messages produced were less than clear, but since this
is a well known problem, I'll save on bandwidth by not discussing it. ;)

Thanks,

David.

--
"Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a
computer. Art is everything else we do."

Re: svn 1.1 UI regression bug?

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
David Wilson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have been using Subversion 1.1 for about 3 weeks now, and on the whole
> I've had no surprises. I accidently commited a symlink to a repository,
> which despite not being what I had intended to do, turned out rather
> useful anyway. Ok, so on to my little niggle:
>
> I have a set of working copies stored in ~/www/, a subset of which I
> like to have updated daily by cron. My cron script started failing with
> 1.1:
>
>    svn: '/home/dw/www' is not a working copy
>
> The command-line for this looked like:
>
>    svn up /home/dw/www/site-a /home/dw/www/site-b /home/dw/www/site-c
>
> With 1.0, svn would treat these as individual working copies and update
> correctly as expected, but with 1.1 it appears that svn is trying to
> optimise the request by finding a common root, and failing to do so.
>
> I would imagine the old (and in my case preferred) svn 1.0 interface
> behaviour should be easy enough to emulate in 1.1. The only question is,
> is this actually a bug? I personally don't see how it can't be classed
> as a UI regression bug.
>
> Thoughts? Please CC: me directly as my -users mailbox isn't read very
> often. :)

I think this is definitely a bug.
Would you like to file it in the issue tracker?

Max.

Re: svn 1.1 UI regression bug?

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
On 2004-12-13 21:26-0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2004, at 7:24 PM, David Wilson wrote:
> >
> >   svn: '/home/dw/www' is not a working copy
> >
> >The command-line for this looked like:
> >
> >   svn up /home/dw/www/site-a /home/dw/www/site-b /home/dw/www/site-c
> >

> I can't reproduce this using today's trunk code:
>
> [sussman@BenBook:~/projects]$ svn up svn locking-svn
> At revision 12305.
> At revision 12305.
> [sussman@BenBook:~/projects]$ cd /tmp
> [sussman@BenBook:/tmp]$ svn up /Users/sussman/projects/svn
> /Users/sussman/projects/locking-svn
> At revision 12305.
> At revision 12305.

Neither I (with svn 1.1.x @ 11525), I checked the following combos:

two different repos,  via ra_local
two different repos,  via ra_dav, on the same server
four different repos, via ra_dav, every one of them on the different server

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach

Re: svn 1.1 UI regression bug?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Dec 13, 2004, at 7:24 PM, David Wilson wrote:

>    svn: '/home/dw/www' is not a working copy
>
> The command-line for this looked like:
>
>    svn up /home/dw/www/site-a /home/dw/www/site-b /home/dw/www/site-c

I can't reproduce this using today's trunk code:

[sussman@BenBook:~]$ cd /Users/sussman/projects
[sussman@BenBook:~/projects]$ svn status
subversion/libsvn_wc/lock.c:374: (apr_err=155007)
svn: '.' is not a working copy