Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by "Sarna, Amit" <am...@credit-suisse.com> on 2007/08/10 16:50:56 UTC

Logging levels

Hi guys,
  I've seen a few threads on what I'm about to ask but no success when following them. I'd like to split my logging such that one appender logs all messages of DEBUG level and above and another logs all messages of WARN level and above. My current log4j config file is:

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, myappender, SOCK
log4j.appender.myappender=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.myappender.File=../../log/abc.log
log4j.appender.myappender.MaxFileSize=100KB
log4j.appender.myappender.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.myappender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.myappender.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p - %m%n
log4j.appender.SOCK=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.SOCK.RemoteHost=localhost
log4j.appender.SOCK.Port=9245
log4j.appender.SOCK.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{%d-%b %H:%M:%S.%J} tid[%t] %-5p %l %m%n
log4j.appender.SOCK.layout.TimeZone=GB
log4j.appender.SOCK.LocationInfo=true
log4j.appender.threshold.SOCK=WARN
log4j.debug=true

So I'm hoping that 'myappender' logs DEBUG and above and SOCK logs WARN and above but this doesn't seem to work. Does any body have a working example of this I could look at?

I'm using log4cxx 0.9.7 and I need to use with non-XML config.

Many Thanks
  Amit

Amit Sarna
Exchange Links Team
Equities IT
One Cabot Square,
London, E14 4QJ
Tel: +44 20 7883 8268

Re: Logging levels

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Aug 10, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Sarna, Amit wrote:

> Hi guys,
>   I've seen a few threads on what I'm about to ask but no success
> when following them. I'd like to split my logging such that one
> appender logs all messages of DEBUG level and above and another
> logs all messages of WARN level and above. My current log4j config
> file is:
>
> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, myappender, SOCK
> log4j.appender.myappender=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.myappender.File=../../log/abc.log
> log4j.appender.myappender.MaxFileSize=100KB
> log4j.appender.myappender.MaxBackupIndex=1
> log4j.appender.myappender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.myappender.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p - %m%n
> log4j.appender.SOCK=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
> log4j.appender.SOCK.RemoteHost=localhost
> log4j.appender.SOCK.Port=9245
> log4j.appender.SOCK.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{%d-%b %H:%M:%S.%J}
> tid[%t] %-5p %l %m%n
> log4j.appender.SOCK.layout.TimeZone=GB
> log4j.appender.SOCK.LocationInfo=true
> log4j.appender.threshold.SOCK=WARN
> log4j.debug=true
>

> So I'm hoping that 'myappender' logs DEBUG and above and SOCK logs
> WARN and above but this doesn't seem to work. Does any body have a
> working example of this I could look at?
>
> I'm using log4cxx 0.9.7 and I need to use with non-XML config.
>
> Many Thanks
>   Amit

You are trying to set the threshold property on the SOCK appender, so
the line should be:

log4j.appender.SOCK.threshold=WARN

Unfortunately, I could not find any unit test in either log4j or
log4cxx that provided a sample configuration file that demonstrated
setting the threshold on an appender.