Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2017/03/31 13:07:22 UTC

Proposed: (Bi?)monthly committer newsletter

As you probably know, I have been pondering a (bi?)monthly community
newsletter for some time. The goal is to increase the connection between
projects/committers and the larger Apache Software Foundation. As we
grow larger, it becomes harder and harder for projects and individuals
to connect with what's going on across the Foundation as a whole. To
Develop Community, you might say, since that's what we're supposed to be
doing here.

As a small way to address this, my desire is to send a newsletter to
committers every two months (perhaps more often, perhaps less often, as
we judge the reaction of our community) letting them know about upcoming
events, important community news, and committer resources that they may
be unaware of.

My draft for the April newsletter is here -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dob08BhWVXMs9mThx1A_kcR9h0vY3Hsr4Q07Fu5UU0s/edit
- and I encourage you to have a look, make comments, and if you're
interested, I'll invite you to edit it.

I am sure that some people will feel that this is spammy, and that many
will delete it unread. But based on conversations at the last several
ApacheCons, I am confident that most of our community will appreciate
the information, and will find it an opportunity to increase their
cross-Foundation participation.

I don't have a firm deadline on this, but I was thinking perhaps April
5th might be a good date. Wednesdays tend to be good newsletter days,
according to people that know about stuff like that.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Proposed: (Bi?)monthly committer newsletter

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 2017-04-04, at 02:44, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>> ...As a small way to address this, my desire is to send a newsletter to
>> committers every two months..
>
> I like the idea (especially if you're doing the work ;-) and suggest
> publishing these newsletters under https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/ in
> a specific category as well. This helps write the history of the ASF,
> over time.
>
> -Bertrand

Just to understand more fully, and usual apologies if this has been already said, but this fine newsletter would:

a) not have a regular editor; and
b) would be like a blog.

The point being that if it needs an editor then it would obviously have a more terminal existence; a community-contributed blog, however, less so. (Community contributed meaning a set of all those entitled to contribute.) I raise this obvious point because I've initiated enough such newsletters and related efforts.

louis

Re: Proposed: (Bi?)monthly committer newsletter

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Brilliant suggestion. Will do.

On Apr 3, 2017 06:10, "Sharan Foga" <sh...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi Rich

I think it might be good to tie this in with some of the feedback from the
committer survey. Whenever people receive an email, the first questions
tend to be why am I getting this and why should I read it? So tying this
into something that came from the committers themselves could help.

It's good to see that there is an intro about why you are sending it, so
perhaps it could also link it the fact that some of the feedback from the
committer survey supports us trying to engage with the committer group more.

- At least one committer not knowing that we have annual Apachecon
conferences in the US and Europe
- Committers saying that they want to build relationships across projects
- Committers saying they want to meetup
- Committers asking for more integrated committer related resources

I've been quite conscious of posting messages out to the committer group
and you'll note that all the committer survey feedback was posted on ComDev
not on the committers list. So I think that there is also an opportunity to
use this newsletter to feed that information back into the committer group.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Apr 3, 2017 02:51, "Richard Eckart de Castilho" <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 31.03.2017, at 15:07, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
> As you probably know, I have been pondering a (bi?)monthly community
> newsletter for some time.

Since it is quite some effort to produce one, it might be a good idea
to also get some idea about how well it reaches people.

Did you consider (how) to measure the impact of such a newsletter?

In an email-based newsletter, you could include a web-bug. Not sure
if such a web-bug would be preserved when the mail is archived though.

An alternative could be a blog-based newsletter with proper analytics.
It would be possible to refer to it easily from Twitter and other channels.
One of these channels could also be comitters@a.o. You could probably even
include some kind of channel-specific campaign ID to figure out if
committes@a.o. is a good channel.

[1].
Unless you want the newsletter to be a private thing going only to
committers,
having a public (blog) spot and pointing people to that might be preferable
anyway.

As you'll see in the draft, the very first parapraph points to
community.apache.org/newsletter where the archive will live.

Re: Proposed: (Bi?)monthly committer newsletter

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 3 April 2017 at 07:51, Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> wrote:

As the issue implies, the mails do exist in the original mail archives:

https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/committers/

That issue is only about lists.a.o which is not currently a full
replacement for the ASF mail archives.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Apr 3, 2017 02:51, "Richard Eckart de Castilho" <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 31.03.2017, at 15:07, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
> As you probably know, I have been pondering a (bi?)monthly community
> newsletter for some time.

In an email-based newsletter, you could include a web-bug. Not sure
if such a web-bug would be preserved when the mail is archived though.

An alternative could be a blog-based newsletter with proper analytics.
It would be possible to refer to it easily from Twitter and other channels.
One of these channels could also be comitters@a.o. You could probably even
include some kind of channel-specific campaign ID to figure out if
committes@a.o. is a good channel.

I assume that committers is one of our lists that forbids html mail. Not
sure. I'll check into that.

Re: Proposed: (Bi?)monthly committer newsletter

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
> On 31.03.2017, at 15:07, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
> As you probably know, I have been pondering a (bi?)monthly community
> newsletter for some time.

Since it is quite some effort to produce one, it might be a good idea
to also get some idea about how well it reaches people.

Did you consider (how) to measure the impact of such a newsletter?

In an email-based newsletter, you could include a web-bug. Not sure
if such a web-bug would be preserved when the mail is archived though.

An alternative could be a blog-based newsletter with proper analytics.
It would be possible to refer to it easily from Twitter and other channels.
One of these channels could also be comitters@a.o. You could probably even
include some kind of channel-specific campaign ID to figure out if
committes@a.o. is a good channel.

Unless you want the newsletter to be a private thing going only to committers,
having a public (blog) spot and pointing people to that might be preferable
anyway.

Just my 2 cents,

-- Richard

Re: Proposed: (Bi?)monthly committer newsletter

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 03/31/2017 09:07 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I don't have a firm deadline on this, but I was thinking perhaps April
> 5th might be a good date. Wednesdays tend to be good newsletter days,
> according to people that know about stuff like that.

Sally (VP Marketing) suggests the 12th, rather than the 5th, so that the
second edition could be posted from ApacheCon and have some juicy stuff
from there.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 03/31/2017 11:30 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> I *thought* the policy for any email to committers@ was that it *must*
> have an alternate Reply-To address, but I can't find where it's written
> down.  In Rich's newsletter case, it'd be Reply-To: dev@community here,
> and we can trust Rich to remember.

After a thorough scolding and public embarrassment the last time I
screwed that up, I do tend to remember. :-)

Yes, I would set the follow-up to dev@community

--Rich

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Great idea Rich, if you have the time to curate the content, and also
work to coordinate with the other recurring committers@ traffic (like
the monthly board email, etc.)

Katherine Marsden wrote on 3/31/17 11:20 AM:
> My only concern with this is creating a lot of followup discussion
> and chatter on committers.

Agreed.  That's why you can't opt-out of committers@, unless you want to
ask infra to deactivate your committer account.

> Maybe make the reply-to this list and make it clear that folks need
> to subscribe here if they want to see/have followup discussions.

I *thought* the policy for any email to committers@ was that it *must*
have an alternate Reply-To address, but I can't find where it's written
down.  In Rich's newsletter case, it'd be Reply-To: dev@community here,
and we can trust Rich to remember.

- Shane

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: Proposed: (Bi?)monthly committer newsletter

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Apr 2, 2017 02:04, "Isabel Drost-Fromm" <is...@apache.org> wrote:

First of all, I love the idea and content of this newsletter. However if
the goal is to reach committers that are less and less engaging, I wonder
how many ppl we will actually reach by sending it to a list nobody can
unsubscribe from. My reaction by being put on such lists is to simply
filter them to where I don't see their content ever again. Isn't it likely
that ppl who aren't engaging now might do the same?

I certainly hope not. My goal is to reach those people who are unaware of
what they're missing. I would like to think that most people here actually
care about community but just don't know. Do you think these people are
already filtering away the board reports and apachecon announcements?
Could be I suppose. That would be sad.

Re: Proposed: (Bi?)monthly committer newsletter

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 31 March 2017 at 15:34, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On 03/31/2017 09:26 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>>

>> The draft newsletter does not seem to have instructions for opting out.
>> Do you plan to add that before going live?
>
> The intent is that this would go to committers@apache.org - a list to
> which all committers are subscribed. There's no other list where we can
> actually reach the audience I'm targeting - the very committers who are
> less and less engaged with the larger Foundation with each passing year.
>
> Making this a separate newsletter mailing list would completely defeat
> the purpose of the mailing.
>
> We also send board meeting minutes to this list, notifications of
> upcoming events, notices of surveys, and various other messages that go
> to the entire committership, without explicit mentions of ways to opt
> out, other than the standard unsubscribe header.

ceasing to be a committer.

[Unsub might work temporarily, but the subs are regenerated at least
weekly from LDAP]

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
ok, two things.

1) I went ahead and went with the majority opinion and sent out the
inaugural newsletter. You'll hopefully see it on committers@, with
reply-to set to here.

2) The May newsletter is in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/site/trunk/content/newsletter if
people want to help drafting next month's newsletter. It will be sent
from ApacheCon, so will have a section on the first few days of the event.

--Rich