Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Peter Lynch <pl...@sonatype.com> on 2017/11/24 14:06:42 UTC

Update on 4.5.4 release?

Hi Oleg,

I've seen the message a while back where version 5a3 release had higher
priority over releasing 4.5.4.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hc-httpclient-users/201710.mbox/%3C1507798428.15620.5.camel%40apache.org%3E

We are using 4.5.2 in Nexus Repository Manager. 4.5.3 has some nice SSL
related fixes we wanted to pick up, but it also had a regression introduced
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1831 that is fixed in
4.5.4 . The regression breaks a lot of of our integration tests.

It seems a bit odd a minor fix release with regressions is not released
before an alpha major version is released, but I am not the one doing the
releasing - easy for me to say. :)

Are you still taking the same release approach this day? Anything I can do
to convince that 4.5.4 be released soon so we can roll more value out to
our customers?

Regards,

-Peter

Re: Update on 4.5.4 release?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Oleg,

On 11/25/17 5:25 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Peter Lynch <pl...@sonatype.com> wrote:
>> Hi Oleg,
>>
>> I've seen the message a while back where version 5a3 release had higher
>> priority over releasing 4.5.4.
>>
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hc-httpclient-users/201710.mbox/%3C1507798428.15620.5.camel%40apache.org%3E
>>

>> We are using 4.5.2 in Nexus Repository Manager. 4.5.3 has some nice SSL
>> related fixes we wanted to pick up, but it also had a regression
>> introduced
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1831 that is fixed in
>> 4.5.4 . The regression breaks a lot of of our integration tests.
>>
>> It seems a bit odd a minor fix release with regressions is not released
>> before an alpha major version is released, but I am not the one doing the
>> releasing - easy for me to say. :)
>>
>> Are you still taking the same release approach this day? Anything I
>> can do
>> to convince that 4.5.4 be released soon so we can roll more value out to
>> our customers?
>
> Hi Peter
>
> Not so long ago Sonatype as a commercial entity was openly hostile to
> this project.

Reference?

> I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but personally I am not going to do
> anything to advance commercial interests of an unfriendly company.

That's your prerogative, of course, but Peter doesn't necessarily
represent his company nor the other way round.

Peter, any committer can call for a release of any version/branch of any
project at any time. You can help by providing (non-binding) voting
feedback for any release proposed. If this community has a cold attitude
toward your employer, you can suggest to your employer that they attempt
to reach-out to this community in order to repair that relationship.

You are also free to use a manually-patched version of ASF-released
code. *shrug*

-chris

Re: Update on 4.5.4 release?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> I've seen the message a while back where version 5a3 release had
> higher
> priority over releasing 4.5.4.
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hc-httpclient-users/201710.mbox/%3C1507798428.15620.5.camel%40apache.org%3E
>
> We are using 4.5.2 in Nexus Repository Manager. 4.5.3 has some nice
> SSL
> related fixes we wanted to pick up, but it also had a regression
> introduced
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1831 that is fixed in
> 4.5.4 . The regression breaks a lot of of our integration tests.
>
> It seems a bit odd a minor fix release with regressions is not
> released
> before an alpha major version is released, but I am not the one doing
> the
> releasing - easy for me to say. :)
>
> Are you still taking the same release approach this day? Anything I
> can do
> to convince that 4.5.4 be released soon so we can roll more value out
> our customers?

Hi Peter

Not so long ago Sonatype as a commercial entity was openly hostile to
this project. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but personally I am not
going to do anything to advance commercial interests of an unfriendly
company.

Oleg