Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by usw wickramasinghe <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/20 22:17:59 UTC

Regarding GSoc projects for Apache Sling

Hi,

I'm an Computer Science Undergraduate(University of Moratuwa ,SriLanka) who
would like to work in a apache Sling project for GSoc 09.. I've recently
being  doing project work on Apache Axis2 Engine developing Ruby Services
deployment and message recieving using JRuby frame work (using OSgi to
componentize as well ) (
https://wso2.org/repos/wso2/trunk/carbon-components/jruby/ ,
https://wso2.org/repos/wso2/trunk/carbon-components/schemaGenComponent ,
https://wso2.org/repos/wso2/trunk/carbon-orbit/org.wso2.carbon.jrubylib/ )
and   have an good  understanding in Apache Axis2  n SOA .I have also worked
in the area of WS Security (WS [Web Services] Policy derivation from SOAP
messages n some OSGI component implementatons around that..) and have fair
knowlege on WS security implementations as well.

I am pretty much interested in the project that you guys have proposed  for
GSoc 09 'Reimplementing (a subset of) Wikipedia on Apache Sling" and would
like to be further enlightened on the scope and details of this project . I
would like to hear any other ideas u might have  (if it is possible in this
stage..) especially like implementing specific script support (ie:- ruby
using jruby framework..) as an implementaion of ScriptEngineFactory that
Sling is proposed to have..I would very much appreciate if u guys could
provide me with some feed-back regarding above aspects..Thnx in advance.

Regards,
Udayanga  Wickramasinghe

Re: Regarding GSoc projects for Apache Sling

Posted by usw wickramasinghe <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Thnx Bertrand for the information you have provided ..Since Scripting is
already not a major  requirement , i guess i have to go wiith Sling Wiki
project . I went through the samples you have mentioned .and deployed it in
Sling and it's working fine . .And yes i will try to  put up a patch for one
of the samples. Thnx again for immediate feedback..

regards
Udayanga..

Re: Regarding GSoc projects for Apache Sling

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Udayanga,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM, usw wickramasinghe
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am pretty much interested in the project that you guys have proposed  for
> GSoc 09 'Reimplementing (a subset of) Wikipedia on Apache Sling" and would
> like to be further enlightened on the scope and details of this project ....

Basically, the idea of the project at
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009#sling-wikipedia is to
import a significant subset of Wikipedia data into a JCR repository,
and create a Sling application that recreates a sizeable part of the
Wikipedia functionality, starting from the web-facing functionalities.

The main goals are to measure Sling's and Jackrabbit's performance for
large data sets like Wikipedia, and to demonstrate Sling on realistic
use cases.

> ...I would like to hear any other ideas u might have  (if it is possible in this
> stage..) especially like implementing specific script support (ie:- ruby
> using jruby framework..) as an implementaion of ScriptEngineFactory that
> Sling is proposed to have..I

We have Ruby support already, at [1]. The project might also be used
to validate that (as I'm not sure if anybody's using it seriously
already), but if there are problems I'd much better revert to
server-side javascript for this project, as that's our standard for
demo apps.I don't foresee any particular problems with Ruby though.
Note that some Java/OSGi coding will be required to import the
Wikipedia data.

Note that I have added an additional requirement at [1], "To be
eligible for this project, students will have to provide a useful
patch for one of the existing Sling example applications, for example
the espblog sample found at [WWW]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sling/trunk/samples/espblog/".
I think that will help us make sure that interested students have the
necessary skills to go forward with this.

-Bertrand

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sling/trunk/contrib/scripting/ruby/