Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by XU Qinghui <qi...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/29 23:03:57 UTC

Version lifecycle management

Hello, folks

I'd like to raise a (rookie) question about thrift: do we have some clear
definition of the way we manage different versions of apache thrift? I
could not find much useful information in the search engine.
As far as I understand, for each version/release, there is a specific
branch being created. Besides that, I think it is worth to be clear about
the following questions:
- What are current supported versions/branches?
- What's the effort committed on the supported branches? Regarding to bug
fix and backporting new features from master branch?
- Do we have a way to announce the end of life of a specific version?

Best regards,
Qinghui Xu

Re: Version lifecycle management

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

> The clarification is quite clear. I'd suggest to update the markdown file
> of ReleaseManagement with such informations, what do you think?

Wrong document. That one is already long enough and its main purpose is to
define the release process. I'd rather be hesitant to make that file even
longer by adding otherwise unrelated meta information to it.

BTW, if you want to upgrade the documentation, we accept pull requests :-)

http://thrift.apache.org/docs/HowToContribute

Have fun,
JensG

Re: Version lifecycle management

Posted by XU Qinghui <qi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Jens.

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> As far as I understand, for each version/release, there is
> a specific branch being created

Correct.

> - What are current supported versions/branches?

Since we're still below 1.0 the accepted policy is to only support the
latest stable, i.e. 0.13.0 at this time.

We made at least one exception in the past to fix some security related
things in a very specific case, but this is literally the proverbial
exception to the rule.

> - What's the effort committed on the supported branches?
> Regarding to bug fix and backporting new features from master branch?

Current policy is: Only when absolutely necessary and unavoidable.

- Do we have a way to announce the end of life of a specific version?

From a process point of view, all older versions than 0.13.0 are end-of-life