Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Jeremy Daggett <je...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/03 19:11:38 UTC

Live Stress Testing

jclouds-devs,

gmail auto-completed my last message to the old list, so let's try this
again...

I have a situation where I want to test Swift container limits (>10k
objects) via a live test. This would be more of the category of "stress"
test, but do we really have that notion in jclouds?

I don't believe that this is the kind of test case that would be run with
every single execution of the live tests, so I am not clear on which
direction to go.

What have others done in the past for test cases that might be *very* long
running, and only run every so often?  Has this been solved in the past?

I believe that I could add a TestNG group in the @Test annotation like this
on the actual method:

@Test(groups = {"live", "stress"} )
public voide testContainerLimits() {
}

Then I can just specify the groups I want to run, and away we go!

WDYT? Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

/jd

Re: Live Stress Testing

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
On Jul 3, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Shrinand Javadekar wrote:

> P.S. We are looking into open-sourcing the blobstore benchmarking tool.
> Hopefully, it will be out soon.

+1

Re: Live Stress Testing

Posted by Shrinand Javadekar <sh...@maginatics.com>.
Jeremy,

I have some data that might be useful here.

I had run some numbers against cloudfiles-us couple of weeks ago. We have a
tool developed in-house at Maginatics to test blobstore performance.
Essentially, the tool creates multiple threads that put a configured # of
blobs in a given container. The tool uses the jclouds BlobStore APIs. All
the blobs are written to a single container. Starting from 40K blobs, I
went upto 2.8M blobs. You can see the results here.

http://databin.pudo.org/t/b09dba

The container was cleared after each run. So every run started off with an
empty container. I ran with the default java config options.

HTH.
-Shri