Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2006/09/11 00:25:07 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Commons and API change

Some interesting points have been made so far. I believe I should
restate my proposal based on feedback (especially as the original was
written just after a weeks holiday...):

[PROPOSAL]
Whenever a project performs a backwards incompatible API change, two
things must happen:
a) the major version is increased, eg. from 1.2 to 2.0
b) the package name is changed from o.a.c.foo to o.a.c.foo2, or
alternatively to a completely new name, eg. o.a.c.bar
[/PROPOSAL]

Thus, this isn't really a JDK5 issue, but a basic issue of dependency
management. And hence, as poined out, the API version number should be used.

Note however that it is possible to go up a major version without the
proposed rule being enforced *if* and only if there are no backwards
incompatible changes (removal of deprecations allowed).

Now, I would suggest that many projects going from a JDK1.2/3/4 base to
a JDK1.5 base will want to (and should!) make API changes (also, because
of generics et al its difficult to know if you *have* actually made a
backwards incompatible change!) As such, I would expect these 1.5
projects to be subject to the rule in the proposal.

I understand that this is a bit of a pain for end users, but its a pain
because of the lack of a module system as per JSR277. I would argue that
changing a package name to migrate is infinitely preferable when dealing
with a library to coming up against an insoluble jar hell scenario.

Remember, [collections] took one small human error to cause an
incredible amount of FUD and bad press about commons, that still reduces
our user-base today. *Every* jar-hell scenario that is created worsens
this. AFAIK, package renaming is the best, most-viable solution to
backwards incompatible change in Java today.

Stephen