Posted to general@xml.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2000/10/16 13:16:22 UTC

Apache's RPM packaging layout poll

Hi,

I'm packaging for some time now RPMs (Linux Redhat) for some of
the new Apache Group projects :

- ant, regexp, tomcat 3.x, tomcat 4.0

- xalan-c, xalan-j, xerces-c, xerces-j, cocoon

Till recently all the packages were installed under /opt ie:

/opt/ant
/opt/tomcat

/opt/xalan-j
/opt/xerces-j

But some users reported me that /opt is mounted read-only on their
systems and I've started to move all the stuff like this :

General Java library (xalan, xerces) goes in /usr/lib/java :

	/usr/lib/java/xalan.jar
	/usr/lib/java/xerces.jar

Application (cocoon, tomcat) goes in /home :

	/home/tomcat/bin/... /home/tomcat/webapps/...
	/home/cocoon/bin/... /home/cocoon/conf/...

Since there is no rules like FHS (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/)
I'd like to have your opinion about what I should use.

Using the /opt approach allow you to have split the products
(xalan/xerces...)
Using the split method will make you think you're using java libs and apps
much like any others native apps/libs.

Thanks to reply to my adress. I'll put the thread on http://rpmized.free.fr

Re: Apache's RPM packaging layout poll

Posted by Thom May <th...@amxstudios.com>.
Hi,
for those of you that are interested, Debian's java policy is at
http://www.debian.org/~bortz/Java/policy.html

As two of us here have been quoting it fairly extensively, i
thought a link might be aprreciated!

-Thom

Re: Apache's RPM packaging layout poll

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@nybor.com>.
Hey!

Does redhat have a java policy? Debian certainly does and it deals with
sticky situations like this. They haven't made a lot of progress though.

One comment:

> General Java library (xalan, xerces) goes in /usr/lib/java :
>
> /usr/lib/java/xalan.jar
> /usr/lib/java/xerces.jar

Probably not the right place, since Jars are platfrom independent. They
should go in /usr/share/java.

Thanks,
James

Re: Apache's RPM packaging layout poll

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
| An RPM should never target /usr/local - /usr/local is defined as
| being for user installed programs, whereas something installed
| from an RPM, by
| definition, is a system installed program and should go into
| /usr
| arguably this doesn't hold as true with Java, but I agree
| strongly with Debian's Java Packaging policy...

I'd say that /usr/local can be used for things that doesn't come with the
distribution. I guess several OS'es put this under /opt..?

But I think that /usr/local really is for things that is developed "in
house", that isn't on any distribution.

When it comes to configuration, I think that should be put under /etc, and
if several files, under /etc/somename. I hate looking around for some
stupid config file. Every configfile under UNIX should live under /etc, if
you ask me..! And then, when we're at it, it should be illegal to package
something that resembles a server without a init.d script!

Endre.

Re: Apache's RPM packaging layout poll

Posted by Thom May <th...@amxstudios.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
I'd chime in to say that /home is where the user-created and
user-edited files should generally go.

So, < /home/tomcat/webapps > is something I would do, since * I * own
the webapps.

But I wouldn't but the package binaries there, so the rest would go
under

<  /usr/local/tomcat/bin >

The conf files are negotiable in that the binaries use them like their
own, but they are something that I customize. I tend to leave them out
of home, but back them up into home.

A RPM might want to install the binaries into the same tree, and then
leave moving the user-directores as a post-configuration issue. But I
would say an RPM should target < /usr >  or < /usr/local > rather than
< /home >.

I've head read hat is using < /var > for the HTTPD root, which seems
very strange to me. I thought < /var > was for temporary and transitory
files, not regular content. Perhaps that is there compromise between
using < /usr > and < /home > for content.

On 10/16/2000 at 2:40 PM Endre St�lsvik wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

| Application (cocoon, tomcat) goes in /home :
|
| 	/home/tomcat/bin/... /home/tomcat/webapps/...
| 	/home/cocoon/bin/... /home/cocoon/conf/...

Is it good to have _anything_ application/system specific in /home?
Redhat
had their http things there untill 7.0 (but it's now moved). This is
really annoying if you have mountet an NFS server's /home on your home,
the NFS server also have a httpd, and you want to have a httpd running.
  /home is very often mounted from a server, and having "system
specific"
or "system needed" files there generally doesn't sound like the most
excellent idea to me.

--
Mvh,
Endre