Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com> on 2007/02/21 15:05:10 UTC

Locking/Freezing

We have a local Java service that imports legacy data from our old
ordering system.  Last night while working on a 130,000 record import,
it was sailing along until it got to 118392, at which time the Ofbiz
Java process jumped to 99%, and the import froze.  No messages from the
service, no notice that the service had stopped.  The load average
hovered around 1.0, and Ofbiz was otherwise working normally.

I'm glad to see that what appears to be a runaway process/infinite loop
didn't stop Ofbiz completely, and was "contained". I stopped and
restarted Ofbiz, the problem went away, and the import picked up where
it left off.  118392 was imported properly.

In this case, I presume could also have stopped the service to fix the
problem, but that's only because I knew which one it was that was maxing
out the CPU usage.  Is it possible/rare/common that something like this
could happen, and I wouldn't know which service it was?  And in that
case would I have other options than stopping and restarting Ofbiz?

--
David Shere
Information Technology Services

Re: Locking/Freezing

Posted by Brett Palmer <br...@gmail.com>.
David,

I have seen this problem too if the service engine is saturated with
failed services that it has to continually retry.  We worked around
these issues by setting the maximum retry count to something like 3.

I have also seen this error when the jdbc driver version is incorrect
for the specified DB.

Brett

Re: Locking/Freezing

Posted by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com>.
I'm using PostgreSQL version 8.2.1 with the driver
postgresql-8.2-504.jdbc3.jar.

Re: Locking/Freezing

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
David,

RE: Locking/Freezing

Posted by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com>.
My VM settings are at 512 MB.

Our import uses an intermediate entity.  Our data is imported into it,
and from there a java service parses and manipulates the data before
creating many entries in many tables with the new data.

I'm not sure what my memory usage was at the time this process froze.
I'm using Ubuntu, but ofbiz is run under the root user, which to my
understanding has no memory usage limits.  Gnome was not running at the
time.

Re: Locking/Freezing

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jconsole may used for that