Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Hinrichs <je...@delasco.com> on 2004/04/26 21:24:39 UTC

WITHOUT_THEADS frustration....

First off, let me preface by saying that I really like subversion.  I've
been using it since .17 or so.  However, I'm frustrated by the
requirements of building apr without_threads.

Can someone point me to a ref on why without_threads was chosen?  It seems
counter to Apache2 and what it is trying to accomplish.  The frustration
comes from trying to run more than a subversion repository on a machine,
for instance, mod_python 3.1.3.  mod_python is suppose to use threads but
you can't  compile subversion/svnserve with threading enabled.  You can't
have two version s of apr sitting around either.  I feel so idiotic
because I can't get this figured out.

Can anyone point me to docs/reference on how to get svnserve and
apache2/mod_python on the same machine?  Or confirm that it is not
possible to run apache2/mod_python on the same box as a subversion repos.
Can I statically link subversion and would this solve my problem?

-jeff

Re: WITHOUT_THEADS frustration....

Posted by Keith Smith <ke...@pharos.co.nz>.
On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 09:24, Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
> Can anyone point me to docs/reference on how to get svnserve and
> apache2/mod_python on the same machine?  Or confirm that it is not
> possible to run apache2/mod_python on the same box as a subversion repos.
> Can I statically link subversion and would this solve my problem?

If the only requirement is having both services on the same machine, why
not use two different apache servers?  I do this myself, and tend to
think of the svn-tailored apache as my 'subversion server'.

Regards
Keith

Re: WITHOUT_THEADS frustration....

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Apr 26, 2004, at 6:32 PM, Jeff Hinrichs wrote:

> Garrett Rooney said:
>>
>> On Apr 26, 2004, at 5:24 PM, Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
>>
>>> First off, let me preface by saying that I really like subversion.
>>> I've
>>> been using it since .17 or so.  However, I'm frustrated by the
>>> requirements of building apr without_threads.
>>
>> What requirement of building apr without threads?
>>
>> It may be that apr defaults to building without threads on your
>> platform (it does on FreeBSD, for example, because of issues with the
>> threads libraries on some FreeBSD versions), but Subversion doesn't
>> enforce that, so if you have a good reason to build APR with threads
>> support Subversion will still work.
>>
>> -garrett
> Yes, I am on FreeBSD 4.9.  I should have specified that in my initial
> message.   When I build apache with threads and db and then build
> subversion with_apache_apr I get a core dump (bus failure) when I try
> use svnadmin.
> I am using svnserve not the apache module.  I assumed that threads were
> unwanted since the apr-svn port specifically turns threads off.
>
> I am now trying out python without_threads and rebuilding all the stuff
> affected.  I wonder if I have to specify MPM prefork in the apache
> build...

Well, SVN certainly shouldn't core dump when linked with a threaded
APR, but it's difficult to say without knowing the specifics of how it
was built.  Perhaps you should take this up with the current maintainer
of the Apache and Subversion ports, since they're likely in a better
position to debug the problem than I am.

-garrett

Re: WITHOUT_THEADS frustration....

Posted by Jeff Hinrichs <je...@delasco.com>.
Garrett Rooney said:

> On Apr 26, 2004, at 5:24 PM, Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
>
>> First off, let me preface by saying that I really like subversion.
>> I've
>> been using it since .17 or so.  However, I'm frustrated by the
>> requirements of building apr without_threads.
>
> What requirement of building apr without threads?
>
> It may be that apr defaults to building without threads on your
> platform (it does on FreeBSD, for example, because of issues with the
> threads libraries on some FreeBSD versions), but Subversion doesn't
> enforce that, so if you have a good reason to build APR with threads
> support Subversion will still work.
>
> -garrett
Yes, I am on FreeBSD 4.9.  I should have specified that in my initial
message.   When I build apache with threads and db and then build
subversion with_apache_apr I get a core dump (bus failure) when I try to

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.