Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dewey, John" <jd...@rsasecurity.com> on 2005/07/18 19:46:22 UTC

help getting a simple no dependency client working with tomcat

I am trying to get a simple zero dependency client to work with tomcat,
at current it works with

http://services.xmethods.net:80/soap/servlet/rpcrouter
<http://services.xmethods.net/soap/servlet/rpcrouter>

but not my home grown test web service

http://localhost:8080/axis/services/fibonacci

I have build a simple client using Apache dependencies that access the
Fibonacci client so I know it works, but I'm utterly confused as to why
my zero dependency client doesn't work.

Well I shouldn't say my client since I took from an example article
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-soapcl/ listing 1
has the source code
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-soapcl/listing1.html

The error I get follows (note I renamed the file LowClient.java):

Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP
response code: 500 for URL:
http://localhost:8080/axis/services/fibonacci

        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnec
tion.java:800)

        at LowClient.main(LowClient.java:71)

I don't understand why the client would break when targeting a tomcat
service... I thought the whole point of web services is that they are
all supposed to be a single client. The SOAP message file that LowClient
is sending follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<soapenv:Envelope
            <soapenv:Body>
                        <ns1:calculateFibonacci

xmlns:ns1="urn:fibonacci">
                        <in0 href="#id0"/>
                        </ns1:calculateFibonacci>
                        <multiRef id="id0"
                                  soapenc:root="0"
                                  xsi:type="xsd:int"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">10</multiRef>
            </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this Tomcat Client
interaction problem.

NOTE: This message was send to the TomcatDev list which I have realized
now was a mistake as it is for developers of Tomcat not for developing
with Tomcat. For those on both lists I apologize for the dual send.