Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net> on 2015/11/05 09:34:52 UTC

git tags on cloudstack repo

Hi

I have kind of a question about the tagging policy in cloudstack git repo:

We now have tag 4.6.0 but we call it an RC. This raises 2 problems:

1st: from the public perspective, this is a released version. Or how can
anyone not related to the project see, if this is an RC or not?

2nd: tags seems not to be persistent. If we decide to do another RC, the
tag would be moved to another commit. If we test "4.6.0" we can not say
which version has been tested.

Proposal: We adopt the well known versioning model "semantic versioning"
http://semver.org/.

This means the RC would have been named 4.6.0-RC20151104T1522 or 4.6.0-rc.1

Do I miss anything? Any thoughts?

Regards
René

Re: git tags on cloudstack repo

Posted by Boris Schrijver <bo...@pcextreme.nl>.
Good point! Hadn't looked there. I don't think we should tag an RC as it's still
under active development.

--

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Boris Schrijver

PCextreme B.V.

http://www.pcextreme.nl/contact
Tel direct: +31 6 33784542

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.

Posted by Boris Schrijver <bo...@pcextreme.nl>.
I don't see a tag either. When the RC passes its vote, then a tag and
corresponding release will be created. Until then, we just have the rc branch.

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: git tags on cloudstack repo

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
I don't like the rc1 tag. The date tag is more descriptive. and easier to
automate. As for the tag being or not in git doesn't really matter. I used
to rename the released branch to GA-4.4.x after the vote and leave the tag
on there as well. In the end it is the commit-id that is significnant.

--
Daan

Re: git tags on cloudstack repo

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
The 4.6.0 tag is now removed.

To https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cloudstack.git
 - [deleted]         4.6.0

Didn’t take it like that, René, you had a valid point. No problem.

Regards, Remi

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.