Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Paul Crabtree <pa...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/17 19:25:57 UTC

[Continuations] ConcurrentModificationException when invalidating on JBoss

Hi all,

This is kind of a repost but with more importance. We're due to go live soon
with the Cocoon project im working on but ever since an upgrade to Cocoon
2.1.7 we've been experiencing ConcurrentModificationException warnings from
ContinuationsManagerImpl.invalidateContinuations as Cocoon tries to clear up
old continuations (im assuming).

I'm worried that perhaps these arent being cleaned up at all which could be
the start of a memory leak. We werent getting them on 2.1.6 and upgraded to
2.1.7 to gain the functionality of continuations being bound to sessions
that this upgrade offered.

We're running Cocoon 2.1.7 on JBoss 3.2.5 on Java 1.4.2

Any help would be much apreciated.

Regards,
Paul.

please find the jboss console output below.

17:20:22,831 WARN [Context] Unable to perform background process on manager
 at java.util.HashMap$HashIterator.nextEntry(HashMap.java:782)
 at java.util.HashMap$KeyIterator.next(HashMap.java:818)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.components.flow.ContinuationsManagerImpl.invalidateContinuations
(ContinuationsManagerImpl.java:487)
 at org.apache.cocoon.components.flow.ContinuationsManagerImpl.access$100(
ContinuationsManagerImpl.java:75)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.components.flow.ContinuationsManagerImpl$WebContinuationsHolder.valueUnbound
(ContinuationsManagerImpl.java:567)
 at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.removeAttributeInternal(
StandardSession.java:1565)
 at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.expire(StandardSession.java
:708)
 at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.isValid(StandardSession.java
:566)
 at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.processExpires(
StandardManager.java:782)
 at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.backgroundProcess(
StandardManager.java:795)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.backgroundProcess(
StandardContext.java:4618)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren
(ContainerBase.java:1619)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren
(ContainerBase.java:1628)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren
(ContainerBase.java:1628)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(
ContainerBase.java:1608)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Re: [Continuations] ConcurrentModificationException when invalidating on JBoss

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Leszek,
>
> I suspect Paul will want to patch 2.1.7 since that is what he has been
> testing with (I doubt he wants to go into production with a snapshot).
>
> Is there a possibility you can forward the svn email to him so he can
> patch it himself?
>
> Paul - If I misread you please speak up.
This is the change that has been made in trunk:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&rev=169600

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/ContinuationsManagerImpl.java?rev=169600&view=diff&r1=169600&r2=169599&p1=cocoon/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/ContinuationsManagerImpl.java&p2=/cocoon/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/ContinuationsManagerImpl.java

Re: [Continuations] ConcurrentModificationException when invalidating on JBoss

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Paul Crabtree wrote:
> Thanks again guys, we're running windows/VSS here and to get cocoon i
> simply downloaded the source and built it.

If you want to become real Cocoon developer :-) you should download and install
SVN client, and get Cocoon source code from SVN. SVN client can generate diffs.

Other option is to install for example cygwin (see cygwin.com) which comes with
diff command:

   diff -u <old file> <new file>

And the last thing - please send plain text email to the mailing lists.

Vadim

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Paul,

What you are doing is fine.  However, it is much more likely a patch
will be applied if it goes against the current SVN instead of a
release.  But if the enhancement/fix is really compelling we will take
it in any form we can get it.

Ralph

Posted by Paul Crabtree <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Paul Crabtree wrote:
> Actually i submitted a fix for something else on to the list yesterday
> but only in an explanatory way with a little code snippet included.
> Perhaps it would be more useful if i make one of these patch files for
> it and submit it. Could either of you point me in the right direction
> for going about this please?
what svn tools are you using?

Re: [Continuations] ConcurrentModificationException when invalidating on JBoss

Posted by Paul Crabtree <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Crabtree <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.

Posted by Paul Crabtree <pa...@gmail.com>.
I think you've got me right, and great news, thanks.
As you say i'd like to patch my 2.1.7 instead of going with a snapshot so if
you could send me that mail over i can make the change.

Thanks again guys,

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Leszek,

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.